OT~Earthquake in Gulf of Mexico

Witfull

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/09/10/gulf.quake/index.html

6.0 quake in Gulf shakes Southeast
POSTED: 12:50 p.m. EDT, September 10, 2006

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- A strong, 6.0 earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico was felt throughout the Southeast but caused no apparent damage, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake was not powerful enough to trigger a tsunami warning.

The quake, about 250 miles west of Tampa, Florida, was "pretty unusual" for the area, although a 5.2 magnitude quake was recorded nearby in February, said USGS seismic analyst Jessica Sigala.

People as far away as Atlanta -- about 530 miles from the quake's center -- called into local television stations to report feeling tremors at 10:56 a.m. ET.

Sigala said that since the surrounding terrain is fairly flat, the earthquake would travel far and fast. The earthquake occurred at a depth of 6.2 miles, the USGS said.

About an hour after the earthquake, 904 people from 365 separate ZIP codes in the Southeast had filed online reports to the USGS that they had felt the quake.

Florida and Georgia led the list with hundreds of reports each, while a handful of reports also came from Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana residents.

The most distant reports came from Rosman, North Carolina, and Pickens, South Carolina, both about 600 miles from the quake's center.

Cartman89

AH!! You beat me to it! I was just going to post that. Did anyone feel it on here? When I lived in florida I never experienced this.

BoomerD

I saw that earlier. My wife's friend in Tampa felt it...

OH NOES! Florida's gonna fall into the ocean!!

Fortunately, it doesn't appear to have created any measurable tsunami.

"TSUNAMI BULLETIN NUMBER 002
PACIFIC TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
ISSUED AT 1510Z 10 SEP 2006

THIS BULLETIN IS FOR PUERTO RICO AND THE U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS.

... TSUNAMI INFORMATION BULLETIN ...

AN EARTHQUAKE HAS OCCURRED WITH THESE PRELIMINARY PARAMETERS
NOTE MAGNITUDE REVISED DOWNWARD FROM 6.0 TO 5.9

ORIGIN TIME - 1456Z 10 SEP 2006
COORDINATES - 26.4 NORTH 86.7 WEST
LOCATION - GULF OF MEXICO
MAGNITUDE - 5.9

EVALUATION

THIS EARTHQUAKE IS TOO SMALL TO CAUSE A SIGNIFICANT TSUNAMI.
CONSEQUENTLY THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO PUERTO RICO OR THE
U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS.

UNLESS ADDITIONAL DATA ARE RECEIVED... AND BASED ON PREAPPROVED
PROTOCOLS... NO ACTION IS REQUIRED.

THIS WILL BE THE ONLY BULLETIN ISSUED FOR THIS EVENT UNLESS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION BECOMES AVAILABLE."

blue_eyes53813

Ohh wow.. I really gotta learn to keep my mouth shut... I just braught up the conversation at a family gathering that Cali gets all the earthquakes and Florida and all east coast get the hurricanes... That was just last weekend I thought of that.. And now the they get the quakes.... Kinda weird..

Im glad it wasnt a bad one...

lcstorc

Well, I felt nothing in East Central Florida.
Didn't even know about it till a friend told me.

Witfull

we had one here last year,,,,i thought it was a large trunk rumbling by the house~

i was in L.A. for the '71 quake.....now that was SOMETHING!!!

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
blue_eyes53813 said:
Ohh wow.. I really gotta learn to keep my mouth shut... I just braught up the conversation at a family gathering that Cali gets all the earthquakes and Florida and all east coast get the hurricanes... That was just last weekend I thought of that.. And now the they get the quakes.... Kinda weird..

Im glad it wasnt a bad one...

At your next familt gathering, please tell your family that Steve over at Coral Dynamics will NEVER win the lottery.

Thanx...LMK so I will be expecting the change.

:whstlr:

BoomerD

Doesn't really seem inappropriate, but I don't get it...It's not like it was a mega-quake or anything...apparently, not a lot of people even felt it, and little to no damage occured...Heck, the folks in L.A and the S.F. bay get worse on an almost daily basis...

RanRoc

yeah, I know, Boomer...but to me, that's what makes the shirt kinda funny. Plus I know that there are people that like to collect those sorts of things. Also, wasn't sure if anyone in the gulf area on our forum would be interested in a novelty like that. :)
-RY