OT Any vehicle mechanics in the house???

blue_eyes53813

I had a thread awhile back on my 2008 dodge avenger... I believe I got my car last October ish, lol

Anyway, On my way to Madison Wis this past weekend going down the highway my new car blew the oil filter out... Yes it blew oil all over... And yes I just had the oil changed at a well known establishment to all of us..... :rocket:

Well my car only has 9000 miles and I believe it may be junk.. Im not sure but Im really leary of taking it back. I dont want things with the engine or mechanical problems to keep popping up.

The dealer where I got it from and the well known establishment that did the faulty oil change are battling it out...

In the mean time Im vehicle less and in doubt that car will ever be the same... Any mechanics in the house can give me any insight on what something like that might do to a vehicle, long term.. or even things to watch for if I do take it back??

I may ask for a new car!!!!!:cursin:

JWarren

Did the oil filter strip out the threads? May have not been tightened well enough and come loose. The oil pump will shoot oil everywhere if the filter is not in place. Check the filters threads, it may have aslo been cross threaded when a new one was put back on or just not tightened down well enough.

blue_eyes53813

I dont know if it was crossed threaded or exactly what they did or didnt do. The car was towed to the dealer. They are the ones that brought it to my attention that the filter wasnt in right or the wrong one..

The dealer has the car.. I just dont know how the car will be here on out... It def. cant be good for the engine??? Right??

Triggerjay

How long was the motor run after you lost the filter? If it was shut down momentarily, I wouldn't sweat it... But if you ran the engine out of oil before you got it shut down, you may have damaged crank and rod bearings.

Jason

blue_eyes53813

I got off the road as fast as I could... I had cars behind me I had to give warning to and not to mention my oil was all over their wind shields. I couldnt just pull right off... I am guessing 1/2 mile -1 mile before I got off the road.

I had no idea what was going on... It is not normal for this to happen... I dont know how much oil was left in the car.

blue_eyes53813

ummm not real bad.... there was a very very very very mild ticking sound.. almost sounded like air or a light whistle. But you really really had to listen

JWarren

The ticking was probably just the rockers, since there was no oil on them.

I would say the engine did not receive any damage in such a short distance and if you shut it down right away.

Where is the car now?

blue_eyes53813

at the dealers,,, they are waiting for the establishment that did the oil change to come and look at it.... get pictures and all that good stuff

BoomerD

That's a baaaaaad thing...and yes, in almost every case, the oil change company is responsible and USUALLY they cover any damages. With a new car like that, there won't be much for them to fight, (although they may try) but in the end, they'll pony up and pay. They should cover any needed repairs, (I doubt you'll get a new car, but maybe a new engine) as well as all rental car expenses. (don't let them cheap out and rent you a micro-car, make them rent you something comparable to yours.
At the first sign that they're going to balk at paying, call your lawyer. If it's not something he handles, he can usually refer you to one that does...

blue_eyes53813

Very Good Idea BoomerD. I will def. be in contact with my lawyer if the company starts to cop out on me...I just dont trust that all companies involved will be truthfull

funkpolice

I just took my charger into the dealership on sat., and there was a brand new avenger on a tow truck. They said the engine was blown due to an improperly installed oil filter. Maybe there is something wrong with the threads from the factory, or it's probably just a coincidence. Kind of interesting though. On a side not, do you know if they offer the Avenger in an Srt4? I heard they might.
bill

funkpolice

The number of problems they have to have before they issue a recall is insane, even if there isn't a recall, it could be a manufacturer problem, or the oil change guys weren't paying attention.
bill

BoomerD

The link I posted lists recalls and technical service bulletins. While there are several listed for her vehicle, there's nothing pertaining to the oil filter.