ORP ups and downs

The1poolman

Can anyone tell me of a way to decrease ORP? Most all info is on how to increase ORP, not decrease. I know that a reading of 375-385 is optimum, but I generally have it hovering about 390-400. I do not have an ozonator, so that is not my problem. I know that 400 is not extreem, but is aproaching danger. Can anyone help?

The1poolman

90 gallon tank, 120lbs live rock, 6" live sand/gravel mix, PM 40gallon sump "No bio balls", Euro reef rc135 skimmer, Korallin C-1502 calcium reactor, Arctica 1/10 hp chiller, Corallife 18watt UV sterilizer. Corallife MH lights 2 X 250 mh w/ 2 X 96 actinic, 4 X moonlight bulbs. All contrlled by an Aqua 2 pro controller.

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Ther is no danger, what so ever, if the ORP is that high or higher if oxidizers like ozone are not used. Second, it may not be that high, as probes are subjected to getting algae growth and need to be cleaned frequently. The algae on the probe realease O2, which give false high ORP readings.

This many be a little deep for but try to read as best you can

ORP and the Reef Aquarium
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

The1poolman

Thankyou Boomer, I appreciate the input. I will check out the probe, as I am sure you are correct about the algae. I clean them about every 3 months, and it is just about 3 months now. I had just never seen the level raise that high before. Thanks again..

SoliSteve

The probe may also become encrusted with Calcium or other chemical compounds based on the dosing that occurs over time. Depending on the Ionic Balance of your tank, you can experience a precipitation of compounds over time that can coat your probe. If the cleaning does not give you the readings you expect, invest in a new probe.

The1poolman

Thank you both very much. I checked the probe and to my shock, it did need to be cleaned. Duuoohhhh, as Homer would say. All the equipment in the world cannot stop the basic concept of maintainence. It has only been just under 3 months, but I will be more aware.

Question for steve!? I have a red chili as well. He is doing quite well. What do you feed yours? Do you need to feed it seperately, or does it recieve enough from the nutrients in the water? Any help would be appreciated. I just want to do the very best I can for it.

The1poolman

SoliSteve

I usually do a direct feed of Cyclopese or Marine BioPlankton - they seem to do quite well with 2-3 feedings a week and they are well hidden from the lights in the tank. They also get fairly direct current and I do have a lot of life teeming in the tank that they filter out at night but this tank is 5 years old - a lot of life in "them there" rocks!