ORP in the Aquaria, what it means.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Well finally, after months of harassing Randy and the multi threads we have created on our Chem Forum, to assit Randy on info and ideas for the ORP article and a couple of special guests, the article is finally out :D. It only took 20 years :lol: to find the right guy.........Randy:smirk:

PS.How do you get this or things like this to the The News Headlines

Last edited:

jks1

so i was thinking of getting a Neptune Aquacontroller II for my 75g SPS/clam thats in the making. ORP probe is an option. How many of you keep track of ORP and do you think it is worth the $100 to add that capability?

tankgirl

Wow, that was a really adorable article with the analogy of footsoldiers and secret-ninja warriors, and so on. I'm impressed.

Trav, I really like your starfish avatar!!!

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Thanks for the link Boomer...that was informative and very well written....I just may make my chemistry prof. proud of me yet ;).

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Great article Boomer..clear as mud now, lol

Actually lots of little hidden secrets in thier, lol

Mike

Boomer

Mike

Great article Boomer..clear as mud now, lol

That is pretty much Randy's and my thoughts also. When we started this, something I had asked him for, I thought he would figure it all out. I was amazed at him saying on the forum he was lost on the issue of ORP. He wanted me and Simon to write it. We pretty much said noooooooo way. We know why to a degree, we are all :confused: Randy really came through as far as I'm concerned. Me, after reading this, I'm more confused now than before he wrote it :lol:

mojoreef

Just a reefer
ORP is a tough one, to many things alter it and control it..you jnow something is happening just not what???lol. I think its more of a general health type of monitor and it does ultimately let you know how the oxygen content is (well good or bad anyway, hehe).
The article was good though spelled it out real well. We should all go over to Randy's foreum and bomb him with a bunch of questions about it,rofl..he would never forgive you.:D

Mike

Boomer

We should all go over to Randy's foreum and bomb him with a bunch of questions about it,rofl..he would never forgive you.

Oh God, no don't do that, I will be in big trouble

:explode:

Boomer

There is some what of an error pointed out in Randy's ORP Article.Randy will re-read and re-edit it

In page 3,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The oxidizers are typically strongest near the end of the light cycle when the pH and the oxygen concentration peak.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Near the end of the light cylce, when the pH ..is peak,
oxidizers are weakest, because of reduced [H+] concentration.

In page 10,

quote:
In this case, lowering the pH increases the oxidizing power of the oxygen, and consequently lowers the ORP.

lowering the pH, increases the ORP..

Last edited:

Scooterman

After reading it a few times, It is amazing that someone can coheir ORP but good to know someone is looking out for us, because I think I'm just as blind as before!:D

Nice read though, thanks, I think.