Orange rust looking stuff on glass(algae?)

kryoz88

Hey all, I've been running an RSM 130c for 3 weeks now. Ive got a yellowtail damsel and a blue chromi as well as an emerald crab and a few snaild. About a week ago I had an orange substance on my tank walls start to form. I scrubbed it off with an algae brush, but it has come back. Any idea whar it could be?

2f6941d9b68de60747fb6e97546e4817.jpg

22714c81e0137c346c87e1e78305ee0d.jpg

NanaReefer

Disagree with doing water changes. Best wait until cycling is completely done. Does look to be Diatoms. Also there's no need to be running your lights during this time. Just invites unwanted algae growth.

bullet

I have to disagree about the lights I think its better to run them now so if there are any issues with timers bulbs or fixtures you can catch them before you start adding live stock also it may add to algae but I don't believe it would be enough to worry about also this way as you watch tv and go about your regular routine you can tell weather or not you want your lights to go off sooner or come on later

Oxylebius

Are you cycling your tank w/fish in it? If so, absolutely do a water change. Test your levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Keeps ammonia/nitrite levels low if fish are in the tank (cycling or not).

This growth is normal and will happen continuously if levels of nitrate and phosphate are present in tanks. Once the tank is more established the time it takes it to grow is longer. I have to clean my glass once a week to keep it clean. Sometimes twice a week and my tank is well established at over 3yrs and low in nitrates and phosphates.