Opinions on Kessil A360WE Lights

RC775

I've got the opportunity to upgrade my reef tank lighting (cheapo LEDs) with 2 A360WEs. I know most high end lighting is good, but I was wondering if anyone has used or has opinions on the Kessil brand. Lights aren't cheap and I can't afford to make the wrong choice.

My tank is an Innovative Marine SR-80. It's still cycling (started it up a little more than three months ago).

DaveK

Kessil is considered one of the better manufactures out there. It's good lighting, but make sure it's right for you. Every brand has a few features that you may love or hate.

That being said, I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Kessil A360WE's.

RC775

So, looking at the pricing, its really not very different between the two A360WEs and an AP700. I think my biggest concern now is if either of these choices is going to get the coverage wide enough for the full 48" width of my tank. Has anyone tried either 2 A360WEs or one AP700 on a 48" that could pipe in here? They're both rated to reach 48" at max, but I'm looking for an opinion from someone who has actually tried it.

zchauvin

So, looking at the pricing, its really not very different between the two A360WEs and an AP700. I think my biggest concern now is if either of these choices is going to get the coverage wide enough for the full 48" width of my tank. Has anyone tried either 2 A360WEs or one AP700 on a 48" that could pipe in here? They're both rated to reach 48" at max, but I'm looking for an opinion from someone who has actually tried it.
One A360WE 8" off the water leaves the two sides of my 24" tank slightly dark. I don't know how high you will have them but I don't think you could go wrong either way. A lot of people like both lights, I only have experience with the 360 WE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Keep in mind that LED lighting tends to be very directional. It wants to shine straight down. Also, manufacturers tend to be "very optimistic" when it comes to coverage.

I think you'd be asking a lot of a AP700 to cover a 48 inch long tank in spite of what Kessil says on their web site.

Also if the two A360WE lights are not up to the job, you can easily add one additional one. This would be difficult to do with a AP700.

chipmunkofdoom2

Kessil makes a fine LED light. One of the great things about it is because of their unique lens setup, you get comparatively good color blending and spread. They're also an incredibly attractive package, only a 4" tall by 4" wide metal tube to light almost 2 square feet. I haven't seen one in person, but just the idea is really quite impressive.

Dave is definitely spot on though, I'd personally want to get two 360s as opposed to one 700.

zchauvin

This is the coverage of one A360WE over my 24x20 AIO. Perhaps you could use this to help your decision.

b338ff82adf02a82373e9b0c4b0832d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC775

Thank you all for the feedback. It seems like the 360s would be my best option for coverage since I can add. I'd love to have the built in features of the 700, but I guess I can't have everything.