Opinions on Calcium Reactors

Tarasco

Continuing on my purchasing of equipment for my 150 tank that is to be SPS dominated, I am now looking at Calcium Reactors. So far, I'm looking at the MyReefCreations.com CR-1, Geo's Reef 612, and the Lil' Johnny from stoneyreef.com . What problems have you experienced or heard about with these reactors? Tell me what you guys like, and what you'd recommend.

mps9506

I know three people with the MRC CR-2, they are extremely happy with it.
I have no personal input on the other ones except I've heard nothing but good things about them.
I highly suggest getting a two chamber model however. My guess is if you go with an MRC, you will be happier with the cr2. a stocked 150 sps tank will suck up a lot of Ca in the long run.

Tarasco

Yeah, I was thinking about the CR-2. The foot print isn't all that much bigger, but I wasn't sure about how much calcium my tank would really need. One of the things that I like about MRC is that they offer package deals that include CO2 regulators, bottles, and pH monitors, so I could get it all from one place.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
I am not sure about the costing of the above mentioned units but I would also look to the fluidized calcium reactors, like those from deltec and shaurun. The media is far superior and the units are alot more effective at producing high dkh and calcium. I am cruising at aroound 88 dkh on my deltec.
Also if your handy they are pretty easy to knock off

Mike

mps9506

Mike,
Are the steps for dialing in those fluidized reactors the same as traditional reactors? I don't have any experience with either of those units but have seen some posts of the Schuran units in action and am pretty impressed with the quality and size of the unit. I assume you have to use the larger media with these guys?
Mike

Tarasco

Uh-oh, three guys named Mike in this thread, took me a second to realize that I wasn't being asked this question. Still interested in the answer, though... :D

mps9506

LOL,
You should have been at our first local frag swap for CCRK. If I recall correctly there were four Mikes. I think three of us had the same last intial also, so we couldn't say Mike S.
The good thing was that since it was the first meeting and not that many people knew each other yet, you had a good shot of calling the person the right name if you said Hey Mike.
:D
So Mike, what's the answer :)
Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Actually its the opposite for the deltec, (not sure if the sharun follows the same rules). In the deltec the media is rowalyth, its a coarse sand I would say in its appearence.
I am not sure how you dail in your reactors mike, I just drop the ph in the unit and then begin to drip effluent. On my deltec I have it down around 6.25 which I fell is best to melt this media. It has a co2 recirc system so not much loss that way.
Over the decades I have had many different types of calcium reactors and a bunch of diy one two. Expencive and/or cheap nothing has even come close to this unit, not even by half. The big difference is the fluidising, with the media in suspension you melt alot more surface area then with other methods, the suspension also ensures the particulate dust melting. The media is designed for the fluidised motion, just a good idea.

Mike

mps9506

I've been using a DIY unit, I may have to ante up for a fludized reactor though. We will see what the boss has in store for a xmas bonus...
Mike

mojoreef

Just a reefer
They are really easy to knock off mike, basically just a recirc pump with an in and an out, I have made a few fluidised units for rowa and other stuff to. Maybe even a couple of mods to an existing unit??

Mike

mps9506

ha! You have never seen my DIY work before. I've seen 5 year olds with better fabrication skills :)
Mebe I can mod an old protein skimmer. I'll look around. Part of the reason I was impressed with the Schuran unit is the build quality looked top notch. I'm willing to pay for that...
Mike

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
That Schuran reactor with a gas/water separator is interesting. Sicne it is rather pricy, have you looked at Leos's dual reactor, Pro Cal, also pricy :D

Tarasco

Boomer, are you talking about the reactors here?

http://www.marinetechnical.com/

I've heard good things about them. However, they're a little more expensive, and have slightly larger foot prints than I was originally looking for. Have you used one? How do you like it?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes. I had the link and see I forgot to post it :lol:

WHEN, I had had tanks all my stuff was from MTC or LT. I loved theri stuff. Leo makes about the best stuff there is and yes I know it is pricy. The thing about dual reactors is that they will kill the low pH you often get with single reactors as the second reactor eats up the excessive CO2, which usually lowers the pH on single reactors .Bill Geist, from Lumar Technologies, use to make almost the same thing, at a lower price but Bill is no longer in business, just like John Burleson. Bill and Leo always seemed to copy each others designs :lol: i.e, reactors, skimmers and O2/O3 reactors.

I just purchased an MRC CR-2 a couple of weeks ago. High quality, easy set-up, value priced considering the other choices. I highly recommend MRC products!