opinion on skimmers= sps water

Dakota

Have been researching skimmers. setting up an all sps and clam tank teh skimmers I have cut down to are Aqua C, Euro Reef, MRC skimmer and thought about ETSS downdraft skimmer. total water volume will be around 120-130 gallons depending on sump size. have a remora HOB skimmer on tank now and know it works well. just want most efficent skimmer. chim in on your xperience with these skimmers . Thanks very much.

BoomerD

Got a sump? I saw one of the H&S skimmers at work this weekend at Tropical Paradise next to a comparably sized EuroReef, and the H&S was kickin it's butt. No competition in skimmate production...A bit pricey, but only a bit more than the EuroReefs.

mps9506

I'm a big fan of the Becket injection skimmer (MRC), however there is a little more maintence involved. I've honestly never seen a Euroreef in action, from what I understand they are very plug and play with little fiddling needed.
Personally my next skimmer will be an MRC after seeing them work, in addtion I like the "upgradability" of the units. If you ever go bigger you can make it larger or add an additional injector.
H&S is great, but for the money you can get a lot of stuff :D
Mike

I just graduated to a Remora. Cant say from experience with anything larger. I do like what i read about the AquaC EV series though.

BoomerD

H&S is great, but for the money you can get a lot of stuff

The 2 skimmers I saw on Saturday were (I think ) a E/R 8-2 and a smaller H&S. The H&S was outskimming the EuroReef by at least 2:1 if not more... I think the trick is the recycling pump with the special needlewheel impeller...Some hobbyists have been trying to retrofit second pumps to their E/R's to get similar performance. Not going to speculate how that has worked...
I'm not positive, the the price of the H&S was within about $100.00 of the price of the EuroReef.

Here's a thread from a local reefer whou stepped up to the H&S.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=405966

tommyp

I second that a recirc loop works great. I hooked one up to my diy beckett skimmer and it pulled so much gunk out. It also was very stable in foam production. That was until the ocean runner 2700 that I was running was bitten by curse that I have over all ocean runners and it stopped working.

I say go with an ASM or if you are handy build a DIY model with a needle wheel on a recirc loop if money is a concern.

Dakota

BoomerD do you have a web site for tropical paradise ( is that a store?) looked it up on the web and found it the one for my tank would be about 450.00 or so but that was from a european web store maybe cheaper here. how long have these skimmers been around ? do they have a good track record? talking about the HS skimmer. looks like it makes alot of foam that s for sure.

BoomerD

http://www.tpaquarium.com/
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while...Call or e-mail Eddie, or he has a forum on RC.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=230

I think the one I saw on Saturday was $550- $600 range...not sure exactly, but the E/R 8-2 is $518 most places. They come in a variety of sizes, so your best bet is to call...
Another option would be the ASM skimmers. Similar to E/R, but at about 2/3 the price. Some say they're as good, others don't think so...

captivereefs

Sponsor
I like the Aqua C series. Great customer service and great skimming. Euro reefs are nice but are just getting to the point of insanity when it come to price!! ASM are nice as well but the quality of materials leaves a little to be desired.

Spooda420

yeah Im with Darin, I bought a Aqua C -EV 400 from Captivereef.com I love it with in a week it was pulling some dark skimmate from the reef, I was also interested in the ER series but to pricey. Aqua C is the way to go. easy to set up and easy to clean.

Thanks Darin. The skimmer you suggested rocks!!!

Chris

mps9506

Originally posted by BoomerD
http://www.tpaquarium.com/
Looks like it hasn't been updated in a while...Call or e-mail Eddie, or he has a forum on RC.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=230

I think the one I saw on Saturday was $550- $600 range...not sure exactly, but the E/R 8-2 is $518 most places. They come in a variety of sizes, so your best bet is to call...
Another option would be the ASM skimmers. Similar to E/R, but at about 2/3 the price. Some say they're as good, others don't think so...

WOW. I thought they (H&S) were selling for around a grand or so.
I do like the recirculating pump designed skimmers, but for the price I thought those skimmers weren't enough for me. But if they are selling for that much with pumps then I am wrong. I'll have to look at them again.
I'm still a big fan of Beckket skimmers though. Someone needs to make a self cleaning model for cheap though :)
Mike

Another beckett fan here. Run a PM on my tank, happy with it.

Seems like the Aqua-C's require fiddling, and if you're going that route, I'd go beckett. Never ran a EuroReef.

Ereefic

Another vote for the Beckett. Running 2 MRC skimmers and love them both. Just keep them clean and there great.

Hi MiddletonMark. :hallo: