Open Brain

ReefLady

Staff member
Beautiful! Before we sold our Open Brain, it grew to about 9" in diameter. I was told by Bob Fenner that it was the largest he had ever seen in captivity.

ScottT1980

How does one go about fragging a brain? Is it possible? I have just never heard of fragging on of these guys.

Very nice regardless

Take er easy
Scott T.

ReefLady

Staff member
Scott,

I don't think it's something that can easily be done ~ certainly not for the faint of heart. ;)

I have heard of people placing an elastic or some sort of "band" around a portion of an LPS -- the tissue under the band will die/recede. Once this happens, you can then use a dremel, or something similar, to "saw" the skeleton in the dead spot.

Not something I would try.

Craig Manoukian

Eek, I wouldn't try to frag one of these as once they begin to receed from the coral base there is too much risk in them parishing.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Absolutely Beautiful!!!

That is a great pic, too! What kind of sand is that, it looks like the pink samoan stuff.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I saw one at the LFS a few weeks ago and it was the biggest one I have ever seen and close to a foot across! Beautiful red coloring!:)

Mebigloser

fidojoe,
I went against the odds and used normal white playsand, it is very pretty but I am not sure the savings is worth the release of silicates into the water.

Mebigloser

chinoxl3,
I feed my brains approx once maybe twice a month on an average. My red brain has double in size since he was placed in the tank, when I purchased him has was starting to die. Here is a recent one of the red brain.

Mebigloser

mnreefman,
When you say they drop babies, how do they go about doing that. Is there something I need to watch for?
Thanks Ron

mnreefman

what i mean is they slowly start to split... usually these are much smaller in comaparison to the main colony... and they dont split down the middle. usually one lobe will drop a small portion of itself. on to your sand....