one skimmer or two

phoneman

I have a Prizm Pro Deluxe protein skimmer on my 55 gal.

I will be moveing into my new 125 soon.:bigblue:

Question... do i get a new biger skimmer or buy new one like i have?

pros/cons and thanks for all the help...:thumbup:

lcstorc

I would get an ASM G4+. Wait what am I saying. I have a 125 with a G4+. :)
Actually that is a bit of overkill for a 125 but a G3 would do very nicely.

phoneman

I would get an ASM G4+. Wait what am I saying. I have a 125 with a G4+. :)
Actually that is a bit of overkill for a 125 but a G3 would do very nicely.

ok i looked at it it's like ($300.00 +) the size is ok but what about the one i have? and if i buy one like the one i have it is rated at 300gal so 2 of them is like good for 600gal or so.and if i need to i can use 2nd one in q/a tank...

Last edited:

BoomerD

Sorry phoneman, the Prizms just aren't very good skimmers. They can be a real PITA to get dialed in, then they still screw up. When they're working their very best, they still can't compare to a good skimmer. I'd put one ASM G-3 up against 4 or more Prizm Pros...

BTW, 300 gallons? heh-heh...maybe 30 gallons...;)
You gotta be careful with manufacturer's ratings on skimmers. Most are exaggerated at least slightly, MANY are so far over-rated it's disgusting.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks BoomerD, i wrote out the same sentiments on the P.P. and deleted it cause I just didnt have the heart lol, Phoneman one thing about reefkeeping, you will buy stuff thats junk, sad but true. Steve

BoomerD

Heart? What's that Steve? :p

I just tell it like I see it...(gets me in trouble all the time!)

phoneman

ok ok i know but it is the $.

if i use it the buy a 300 to 500 skimmer and most without a pump to run it.
just trying to get the most out of my $ i have hade good luck with my skimmer so far but i understand.i will need lights on the new tank and did need the extra $ with that.

meandean45

Hi Phoneman!

Gotta give you a "10" for that avitar! I'm afraid that Boomer D and steve are right, you'll buy a lot of "Junk" in this hobby. Boomer D is also right about the ratings (how many gallons a particular piece of equipment will handle), although I think that your' Prizm Pro MIGHT be up for a 55 gallon. Very few pieces of equipment are up for what the manufacturer says they'll do with the bio-loads that reefers place on them. Your Prizm Pro for example might be ok for 300 gallons of water, IF you have a 4 or 5 inch sand bed, AND 350 lbs of liverock, 2 Gobies and some button Polyps. But if you want some fish and corals in that big tank, you'll need to get a much better skimmer.
Lynns' suggestion of an ASM G-3 sounds great to me. I know that it's tough to spend all of that money for a pump and some acrylic tubing, but if your' skimmer ( which I consider the HEART of any saltwater set up) isn't up to the job, no amount of lighting or other equipment will save you from the heart-ache of constant testing, water changes, and dead or dying livestock.
Patience is a virtue in this hobby, and it sounds like you need to step up to the bar for a really good skimmer, and then save a few more months for your lights. DON'T skimp on the lights either, you'll just end up spending even more money to replace them with better ones.
As an example, when I started out in the hobby, I set up a 30 gallon reef and ran it for a year to see if I was up to it. When I decided that I was, I planned a 90 gallon reef to replace it. Being far from "well-to-do", I had to buy my equipment on what I jokingly refer to as "the easy payment plan". I put $50 a week into a savings account, and then bought different pieces of equipment as the money accumulated for them. The first purchase was the 90 gallon tank. It sat on my livingroom floor for over a year before I got the rest of the equipment that I needed to set it up (and I started spending more each week near the end)! However, the 30 gallon with it's minimal equipment, was a real pain, but the 90 has been a joy for over eight years. I think that it was worth the wait.
Don't mean to discourage you, hoping that this will inspire you to be patient and spend you'r money wisely the first time, instead of having to up-grade to the better equipment later.

Regards,
Dean

phoneman

i know i know

God grant me
the SERENITY to accept the tank
I can not change;(now)
the COURAGE
to change it when
I can; and
the WISDOM
to buy the best for it

thanks you all i will try

(ps)

hi my name is keith and i have it BAD...

meandean45

LOL! That sounds like it could be the new RS pledge!

"Hello, my name is Dean, and I'm a Reefaholic....."

ROTFLMAO!

Dean

phoneman

Reefaholic...

This is a hold up:guns:

The fish and the skimmer in the bag and no one get hurt...

We all say we will not, but we all thank about it lol...

If i give up the t/v do you thank thay will put in a s/w tank in jail???:away:

ps just looked up 6-10-07 it's my b day 38y old

meandean45

:bday1: Cool Man! Happy Birthday! Must be nice to be so young! I,ve got 10 years on you. Suddenly I understand the lack of patience! LOL! My Uncles always told me that you don't get any real patience 'till you get old, and that you don't get OLD untill you're 40! I believe the part about getting old, but the patience seems to come after 50 in my case.
Again, Happy Birthday, and many more!

Dean

meandean45

So is Houston still a decent place to live? I worked in the "Patch" back in the "80's, but moved back here to VT. in '88. Lived at Champions Green out on FM 1960 for a while then moved out to Tomball, then Spring, before a short stint in Corpus. I miss the warmer weather in the winter, but don't miss the humidity in summer. Texas is a beautiful place,and the "Native" Texans were great people for the most part.
Dean

lcstorc

ok ok i know but it is the $.

if i use it the buy a 300 to 500 skimmer and most without a pump to run it.
just trying to get the most out of my $ i have hade good luck with my skimmer so far but i understand.i will need lights on the new tank and did need the extra $ with that.

One piece of good news here. My ASMs have always come woth the pump to run it. I am pretty sure they always come that way but be sure to check just in case. I got my second one from Premium Aquatics one of our fine sponsors.

BoomerD

Here's a new(er) product line that has been getting RAVE reviews:
OceansAquariums.com

Here's a couple of reviews:

New Product line (AquaEuroUSA) - CVR Forums!

Reef Central Online Community - Aqua Euro USA Recirc 265 Skimmer Review

I HIGHLY recommend Noel @ Ocean's Aquariums. VERY good fellow to do business with. Not one of RS's sponsors, (although he possibly could be if admin would contact him), but he's a local reefer and hobbyist who started his own business. He's one of the local club's sponsors, and has some EXCELLENT prices on things...often impossible to beat anywhere. (obviously not always, but...)
If you call, Tell him BoomerD sent ya so he knows how you heard about him. (he doesn't advertise for business outside the Fresno area but is happy to ship to you.)