One invert that I think should be left in the sea

plecosword

Thats an amazing octopus! I agree also, leave them to be in the sea!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC0zOLqYnRg&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Reddog170

I would agree. But the bad part is that you know someone will buy it, toss it in with there reef and never be able to give it what it really needs, space. Shaun

plecosword

but then again, someone who can afford a creature like that, probably would have a decent aquarium of 200g? wich I think is probably not large enough, or is it?

michael_cb_125

IMO, these guys not only need space but also interaction. When you have a creature with 8 arms, and the brain capacity these guys do, how can you ever provide the correct environment?

They need to be stimulated, or they get bored. Kinda the same way parrots do.

I can see it now. Someone with a glass tank will buy it. Then when they come home to a busted tank and flooded house, they will wonder why.

Home Owner: "What happened"
Octo: "Well, I was bored"
Home Owner: "and...."
Octo: " I was playing catch with the tang. I threw the rock, and he could not catch it"
Home Owner: "What did we say about having fun?"
Octo: " I know. I know. I am not in the ocean anymore, and There are rules."
Home Owner: "That is right. Now clean up your mess"
Octo: "Cant the tang help, he is the one that missed the rock....stupid fish"
Home Owner: "Tell the tang you are sorry, and besides you have eight arms, the mess should be cleaned up very quickly"
Octo: "Doh."
Tang; "help!!! Help!!! I cant breath" Flop. Flop. Flop

~Michael

I also do agree octo's can be very tempramental twards a corantine life. And the fact of health hazards you get with some octo's. But i do agree leave these buddys in the ocean. and i like your last post that would be a funny comic...

michael_cb_125

:)

I think that some Octos are fine in captivity. But the aquarist must KNOW what to expect, and how to properly care for these guys. So many people dont realize that these guys are very difficult, and many only live for a little over a year. :(
~Michael

plecosword

ILMAO!! ha, A place like aquarium of the pacific would provide something closer to an appropriate home. A cuttlefish though, I would consider with a very large tank, they only live around 6 months though.

rdvab

why would we decide that this aniamal should be left in the ocean but agree it is ok to strip the ocean of corals and sell them to inexperienced aquarists that kill them left and right?

michael_cb_125

We dont say that it is "ok" for anyone to kill corals. We dont say that it is "ok" for people to get fish they know nothing about. We dont say that it is "ok" for anyone to "kill" any animal. But some things are much more suitable for aquarium life than others. MANY studies are done on the majority of the species that we keep, and as such we know how to keep them alive and healthy. Some species (such as this octo) we just dont know enough about to properly care for.

~Michael

plecosword

I just had a teacher for 3 days, he keeps 2 aquariums, around 40 gallons each. It is a saltwater tank, he has coldwater stuff. I never got a chance to get a closer look but he had an octopus, about 6 to 10 anemones, and 2 crabs and a fish. and Octopus, im curious why no one has a coldwater set up?, I have never seen coldwater livestock anywere.