Omg ready to get out the hobby. Frustrated!!

ChitownRomeo

I swear I am at my wits end! Tank has been setup for 7 years. for the last 2 years mostly all the corals look like crap. Lps won't open fully, Sps bleaching or browning out. BUT EVERY TIME I do a 20% water change once a week they are open fully and fat and happy. Very next day they look like crap again!! Especially my torch, hammers and frogspawn. I swear I do not understand it. Everytime I do a water change, everything is beautiful! But when I wake the next day....back to normal. I haven't added anything, Use the same salt, tds is 0 in makeup water. Getting real frustrated.

DaveK

I would be looking for several possible things.

"chemical warfare" between the corals. Some corals, especially leather corals, put out chemicals that other corals find toxic. Carbon filtration may help.

Generally low water quality. Your livestock may have grown and your tank is now over crowded. You may also need to upgrade your filtration system.

Check all your equipment to make sure it's all still working correctly. I recently had to replace the sump on my system and in the process found a host of equipment that needed replacement for one reason or another.

Is there anything toxic in the tank? Any toxic chemicals such as bug sprays being used in the area? Anyone toss in some lucky pennies? Do you have any fish that produce toxins?

Do you have a deep sand bed? Over time these can accumulate a lot of bad stuff that might be getting released. This can really be a problem if you have fish that like to dig or bury in the sand.

ChitownRomeo

Its a 55 gallon with alot of corals but only a pair of clowns so not a big bio load. I have a skimmer rated for 100 gallons that skims like crazy. I'm wondering do I have enough bacteria in the tank. Yea it's a old tank but I have real reef rock brand and it isn't as porus as other rock. It's 45 pounds of it in there but honestly that might be the problem....

I have a 2 inch sand bed that I always clean so it's nothing trapped in it. Just can't understand how everything is so beautiful and in less than 9 hours look so dead....

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think a 2" sand bed could be an issue. I've always heard less than an inch or more than 3. In between is not a good place

DaveK

... I have a skimmer rated for 100 gallons that skims like crazy. ...

This tells me that you have something that is not right with the system. In a tank with only 2 fish you should not be getting a lot of output from the skimmer. I'd be looking for something that died in there or possible over feeding or over use of additives. There are also a few species that might throw off a lot of slime. In other words, there seems to be large sources of nutrients in the system.

StirCrayzy

I'm not sure I agree Bryan, I've always heard that, but I've had a 2-3" sand bed since 2000, and never had an issue with coral health. Now algae, that's been a struggle, on and off. Whether related to sandbed or not, is unclear.

Dracko

Have you checked for electrical leakage. Does not take a lot to cause problems. Still though, sounds like something is affecting the water quality.
Never give up.....Never say die.

125reefwatcher

is your 45lbs of rock sitting on the sand or on DT glass bottom? I had a similar issue and it was the crap trapped between the rocks and substrate. Also during next water change soak all pumps in a vinegar and water solution to clean out equipment. Please don't give up. you are not alone.

also test your water source before you add salt. it may be you water source. and with frozen foods you dont know what water source is used to process the food.
good luck and keep fighting!

cracker

Hey Chitown ! I have the same issues. Older tank, in between depth on the sand bed, excess algae etc. some of my corals don't look so good. Don't give up Man! Like reef watcher says "Your not alone"

ChitownRomeo

thanks alot you all. I really appreciate the time you take out to help. Let's see If I can answer most of these questions.

1: Rock is sitting on the sand, not on the glass bottom.
2: No electricity in the tank at all. I have 2 Mp10's and a Inline heater so nothing in the tank electrical.
3: Nothing died but maybe a few hermits.
4: I feed mysis shrimp but rinse it off with r/o before use.
5: I barely feed. I honestly feel like I'm starving them.
6: I don't have a algae problem at all. I actually have to feed the hermits or else they starve and die or result to eating corals. I literally have 0 hair algae!
7: I have current Usa True Lumen Pro lights so no bulbs to replace.

puffermike

Are you dosing anything in the tank? Try testing all parameters before you do the WC and then after. Then do a final one 24hrs after. Cross reference the three tests and see if you find anything strange. PH,Calc,No3,Alk ect...