Olympus underwater camera

lcstorc

We just ordered this camera last night and wanted to see if anybody has used it or has any opinion on the camera.
It looks pretty cool and with the cruise coming up and of course tank pics it seemed to make sense. Clutzy me also figured into the equation since I just dropped and broke my camera last week.

Stylus 1030 SW

SHOCKPROOF (6.6FT).
Accidents happen. A rugged metal body and revolutionary shock-absorbing construction are designed to withstand a 6.6-foot fall, drop or other mishap.

WATERPROOF (33FT).
Innovative waterproof seals and gaskets allow you to take underwater movies and amazing pictures in a pool, lake or ocean.

FREEZEPROOF (14°F).
Perfect for skiing, snowboarding, sledding and other winter fun, this camera is winterized to perform at below-freezing temperatures.

CRUSHPROOF (220 LBF).
With a rugged body and reinforced LCD, the Stylus 1030 SW withstands up to 220 pounds of pressure so your camera and images are protected.

3.6x WIDE-ANGLE ZOOM LENS.
A wider field of view ensures you’ll never miss anyone or anything in your shot. Great for shooting landscapes, underwater scenery, group portraits and amazing panoramic pictures.

2.7” HyperCrystal™ II LCD.
With improved contrast and color reproduction, the HyperCrystal II LCD offers a more accurate and precise image display, as well as an extra-wide viewing angle and increased visibility in direct sunlight.

microSD ADAPTER (MASD-1) INCLUDED.
This model camera is compatible with xD-Picture cards (not included). It also accepts microSD cards (not included) which are compatible with various consumer electronics products when using the included microSD adapter (MASD-1).

Compatible Cards by Capacity and Image Type

Capacity</B>Card Type</B>Still Images</B>Movies</B>2GB and underxD-Picture cardYesYes2GB and undermicroSDYesYes4GB and highermicroSDYesYes**You must have firmware version 1.1 or later for movie photography using 4GB or larger microSDHC card.

AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0','width','272','height','180','src','/swf_bin/consumer_lgChip/consumer_smChip','quality','high','bgcolor','#FFFFFF','align','middle','allowscriptaccess','sameDomain','pluginspage','http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','/swf_bin/consumer_lgChip/consumer_smChip','WMode','Transparent' ); //end AC code
addthis_pub = 'olympus'; addthis_options = 'email, favorites, digg, delicious, google, myspace, facebook, reddit, newsvine, live, more' addthis_logo = 'http://www.olympusamerica.com/images/olympusCI.gif'; addthis_logo_background = '08107b'; addthis_brand = 'Olympus'; addthis_logo_color = 'FFFFFF';
overviewRight_Accessories.jpg

Neoprene Case
View Accessory
Floating Strap
View Accessory
Lithium-Ion Rechargeble Battery
View Accessory
PT-043 Underwater Housing
View Accessory

bskinn77

My girlfriend and I have the older version of this camera and we love it it works great you can check out some of the underwater pictures we took snorkling in key west and grand cayman under the "scuba diving" forum. I drop it all the time and it still works great!

lcstorc

Have you used it to take pics in your reef?
How about normal land pics?
According to their specs it does just about everything and had like 20+ shooting modes and other stuff.

bskinn77

oh yea and the pictures I took snorkling in grand cayman I had forgotten to put it on "underwater mode" so I am sure they could have came out nicer also

bskinn77

Have you used it to take pics in your reef?
How about normal land pics?
According to their specs it does just about everything and had like 20+ shooting modes and other stuff.

Yea In the Grand Cayman thread I put up you can see I think one "normal land pic" its of the sunrise over the water. Yes it has a lot of different modes you can choose from I have taken some pictures of my reef they come out pretty good I have not really tried getting to fancy with it yet though but it does have a nice "underwater macro" setting which seems perfect for sticking the camera in the tank and taking some close ups!

funkpolice

I have the older model as well. I think mine is a 770. I love it. Sometimes it can be hard to adjust the settings in manual mode, and the white balance isn't always what I would want, but as a general all around camera it's great. Underwater pics come out pretty good. Here's a few.

P3060579.jpg

P2220566.jpg

P2140220.jpg

PC260459.jpg

P3250203.jpg

P3250222.jpg

reefer4200

So if you like this as much as i think you will, then this just might be my birthday present this month :) I've been looking into cameras and i really want an SLR but $$$$ so this just might be it!

Please let me know how you like it and if its worth the dough!! :) Thanks!!

reefer4200

I was just reviewing the website and i noticed the TOUGH8000 which isn't much more money but you get 2 more MegaPixels...

seafansar

I have one. I had trouble taking pictures while snorkeling. White dots would show up in the picture if I used a certain setting, but that was probably because there wasn't the best visibility where I was snorkeling. It takes great pictures on land and of my reef. I love being able to use it inside my tank to get up close shots. It also is good at recording a video and you can take panoramas with it that are really cool. All in all I think it's a pretty good camera. Pretty much any picture I post on RS was taken with that camera.

lcstorc

I was just reviewing the website and i noticed the TOUGH8000 which isn't much more money but you get 2 more MegaPixels...

You might want to do some price shopping. Ours was considerably less than the Olympus site stated and it is brand new in box. We haven't gotten it yet but I will let you know when we do.

reefer4200

im ordering the tough8000 im all about the megapixels and from my reading thereis no other difference? whats the diff?

funkpolice

unless you are doing a lot of photo editing (not just photshop), or making massive prints, 10 megapixels is more than enough. I can view my pics(7 megapixels) at full screen size without any pixelation. I've seen some slrs on the market now with more megapixels than can be displayed on all the but the very highest quality monitors. Megapixels aren't really a selling point any more.
bill

lcstorc

That was what we decided. 10 was more than enough for our uses. At most we print 8X10s for family pictures and have some great ones from earlier cameras.
We did like the features on this camera including the waterproof and dop proof features. I have broken 2 cameras now by dropping them short distances. This one should be able to take my abuse.
Even if the snorkeling pictures aren't great they will be better than no pictures which is what we would have had.
Now I just have to figure out the basics before we leave.

funkpolice

don't forget to use the wrist strap, maybe even buy a better one. My wife dropped the camera in about 30ft of water, it took 4 tries to get down there and my head hurt for hours. Maybe one of those floats would be a good idea.
bill

bskinn77

ha yea I have dropped mine while snorkling also was not fun trying to retrieve it. I thought I had the wrist strap on it was not the floating one either.

lcstorc

I got the red floating one. Living near the beach, I may take it out and give it a trial run. Nothing terribly interresting in local waters if yiu don''t have a boat but it might get me accustomed to the camera underwater. I will definitely practice on some land and tank pics.
I just can't believe the price. I wasn't even looking at underwater cameras thinking they cost a fortune. It wasn't cheap but a lot less than a SLR. The older models are even cheaper.
I wait for UPS every day. It said from 1 -15 days for delivery.