Ok to add Mystery wrasse?

Reefltx

I went to my LFS today and they had a 2 1/2" mystery wrasse for $50! The color on him was striking, pink & yellow. I've always wanted a mystery wrasse, but have been holding it off cause of their eating habits. I really want one now, I could care less if he eats my cleaner and peppermint shrimps. But, first I want to make sure I can add him with my current fish stock list. In my 57g, I have 2 Picasso clownfishs, 1 yellow assessor, 1 hi-fin goby and randall pistol shrimp. What do you guys think?

Reefltx

You should be fine. I doubt that the wrasse would go after your shrimp. At 50$ that's a steal.

Yes, I know!
I just don't want to make a another mistake, the last time I added a wrasse it was chaos and it was only a 6-line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seabass

My mystery wrasse never touched my shrimp.He actually lets the cleaner shrimp clean his gill,but the shrimp were full grown when i put him in.He pretty much swims around eating pods and when i feed the tank he comes out and eats whatever im feeding at the time.

Reefltx

6 lines can be wicked mean. I had one almost kill a male clownfish.

Yes, that's why I'm trying to be more caution before adding another wrasse, I hear a mystery wrasse can easily bully a 6-line. When I first introduced the 6-line, he locked jaw with my royal gramma then started a fight with my male clownfish. And, that's when the big fight started, my female clownfish jumped in and there was a cloud of dust in the tank. I knew that 6-line had to go.

seabass

I have some anthias a clown gody,clown fish,tang,purple firefish,and yes the wrasse likes to swim at the other fish to let them know he thinks he is boss but never anything too serious,and usually only messes with the carberri anthias i think because of the same body style.I think if my salfin tang didnt mess with the wrasse the wrasse would be alittle more mellow.But yes they can be jerks sometimes

Robzilla

Hit or miss....any semi-aggressive or aggressive wrasse can be great or a real nightmare. It sounds like you already have enough fish for that size tank and this will make for a heavy bio-load. A cramped tank will breed aggression.....one mistake I'm glad I fixed with my first wrasse.

Reefltx

I was thinking I could have at least 6 small fishs in a 57g. Right now, I have 3 fishes not counting the hi-fin goby because he's so small, I don't think he add much to the bio-load. I went a head and got the mystery wrasse today, he's currently in quarantine and will be there for at least 2-3 weeks. Hopefully, he will help with the overload of small snails and pods population.

Robzilla

Not trying to be a downer at all but I have 4 fish in a 55, none of which are very big, and I feel that I am pushing the limit. The rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons of swimming space. With sand and rocks you will have to subtract a few gallons.

As I mention the rule of thumb, remember that there is no set "rule" in this hobby and we have ALL broken them. If you feel that you have the set up, go for it! I would love to see a beautiful tank with lots of fish. I'm just trying to make sure you can avoid as many problems as possible :)