OK - Ready for more Help...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I would concentrate on keeping the nitrAtes 10ppm or less. Anemones are very sensitive to trAtes. Also, bring your temp up to 78-80 deg... your current 74.9 is too chilly.

swezey

Woodstock,

Thanks! I got a chart of water parameters someplace - maybe the liveaquaria.com website? Anyway, for a reef (which is where I'm trying to go) the suggested temp was 72 - 78 F so I figured I was almost right smack in the middle! I was so proud of the temp... :bouncer: Anyway, what is the benefit of having it higher (or danger of having it where it is??)

- Bill

P.S. I DID bring it down slowly from over 80 F when the tank first got set up.

Craig Manoukian

80 degrees is the mean temperature for tropical reefs.

A far as your question about the tank being set-up for 8 yrears, any time you do something to a tank, ie moving it like you did, there will be a time where the tank needs to readjust. You must have had some die off or instability, thus the demise of the anemone and clown.

Getting your tank set up as you like, adding live rock and arriving at a livestock mix that you want will take time. Any changes you make will equate to an adlustment period for your tank to balance and stabilize. I figure you will be close to a year down the road before you will be able to add the anenome safely.

ReefLady

Staff member
Definitely looking good. It's evident that you've done a lot of research - you've also received a lot of great input here.

I'd definitely agree with the temp recommendation. We run our tank at 78F-79F in the winter, closer to 80F-82F in the summer. You'll find as you go on, that as much as you can mimic natural conditions - this will be to your benefit.

Phosphate, Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine or Strontium yet

Calcium is probably one of your more important tests (if you want to keep corals). You'll want a phosphate test if you ever run into nuisance algae issues.
I personally have strontium, magnesium, & iodine tests, and use them maybe once a year - IMO, I would not waste your money on these. I'd suggest these only for tanks with a lot of coral growth, and I would only recommend buying them if you suspect something is wrong, or if you plan on using any additives.

So now what? I know the nitrate should be lower.

I'd start with a water change - around 30%. You probably hit a "mini-cycle" due to die-off from the move. Nothing to be overly concerned about.

I'd say you could go ahead an add a cleaner crew. Research this carefully, you probably don't want a pre-packaged "kit" - it'll likely include things you may not want. You'd be better off to mix and match a few different snails, and a couple other reef-safe critters.

HTH, & good luck!