ok help help me mount my bulbs

brian_e

ok my tank is 72L-36W-28T i have 3x400 mh on it now wanted to run 6 x400 Right now i have 4 of the reflectors and iam tring to find a way to mount them on a rack that is 72L-20W best way to put them on it with 6 or should i just go with 4 x400

Attachments

• picture 42116.jpg
    picture 42116.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 64

brian_e

if i only do 4 witch way would u go but i would love to fit 6 of them

Attachments

• picture 42117.jpg
    picture 42117.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 62

tgeiger

woops jumped the gun.

400 W is a lot of light for a 28T tank. I would go with 4 as layed out in the 2nd pic

-Tom

Last edited:

Jakets

I'm not sure I understand.
Do you mean what orientation?

If orientation.. The reflector should run like the first pic.

J

brian_e

u think 400 is to much light on 28 inches tall i have had 3 x400 on the tank for 8 months now and some corals are 8-10 inches from the top lights are 12 inches from water and the tank is 3 feet wide

brian_e

ok someone told me i would be better to run my lights like the last pic since my tank is 36 wide but iam all ears for pros and cons

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree i think six is alot of light,but if you want six i like dennis7 suggestion 3 on each side but staggered.

Pro_builder

Brian, If it was me I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and ge a sheet of "Ever-brite" cut it to your dimensions and mount your lights on it. Theway that you have in the second pic, but with 2 rows of 3. 1 MH light should cover 24" x 24". This way you would have good light at the back of the tank.
Just my 2 cents.

johnlewis

Brian_e ;
I had a similar question and Terri gave me some info on why the lights should be mounted perpendicular to the tank rather than paralell. If I remeber it was because the lighting pattern is design to go to the sides, not to the front and back.

Maxx

If those are spider reflectors they are designed to be mounted same way as the first pic. The wont disperse light as well if configured as the second pic.
Nick

Maxx

read this article here
its long and boring but explains why teh Spider light reflector should be mounted perpendicular to your tank, (photo 1)
Nick

brian_e

thanks for all the help i put them like the first pic and iam only going to go with 4 thought about the 2 extra bulbs that i would have to buy every time they need to be replaced

Dennis7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it all depend on how wide(front to back) your tank is also. Then I don't think it would matter which direction the spider reflector is mounted. As with above Brian has 6 reflectors and a tank that measures six feet long and three feet wide, divide that in half and you have 2- 3 foot sections. What would you consider front?

Maxx

I see what you are saying Dennis,
I hadnt realized that his tank was 36 wide from front to back...
Ideally, (now that you've gona ahead and mounted 'em already:rolleyes: ) would be to have two rows or banks of light.
Each one having three reflectors spaced 24 inches apart (approximately), but the rear most row alternating its reflectors to "fill" the gaps in between the first row. Does this make sense??
Nick

Maxx

here is a quick rendering of what I was talking about...
I know you wanted to use only 4 in order to save money, but this should get you the best light coverage over your tank. Also have you seen the CoralVue bulbs??? Cheap and attractive!!!!!
Just a thought....

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 23