ok did i do good????

ReefLady

Staff member
Darn you - I WANT that camera. ;-)

Camera in the tank? <snicker> ... sorry.

Can't wait to see some new pics!

mwrager

I would like to get that camera, a lot of $, but you get a lot for that price. Get it and then post some pic with it. I may have to look into getting one. :smirk:

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
We have this camera at the office, it's a great unit. The only problem we have had is one of the two we bought had problems with the flash. It turned out this was a common problem and required sending the unit back to Nikon to be repaired. Took 6 weeks to get the camera back. Works fine now but the engineer we ended up dealing with on this said that it is a common problem with about 35% of the units in this model.

Keep in mind that the flash on this unit worked for about three uses before the problem came up, so you can't really tell until you have used the unit for a while. Once fixed it has been a great camera. The other one we got at the same time has never had the problem, FWIW.

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Thanks folks...and quite that snickering little girl..lol

Walt the seller said that two but also said the new generation didnt have that problwm anymore. ...we will soon see.. thanks for the info

Mike

ReefLady

Staff member
Yeah, Mike, you done good. If I didn't have an SLR, that's the camera I'd want.

Witfull

Originally posted by Travis
Yeah, Mike, you done good. If I didn't have an SLR, that's the camera I'd want.
well there ya go the "good fishkeeping seal of approval"...lol
looks nice...real nice...if i had the money...:D

Scooterman

http://reviews.cnet.com/Digital_cameras/2001-6501_7-0.html?tag=cnetfd.glnav

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...95QqptZSTLQ7Ui5rJM20m01A1qJbloDqOmc4WLkK1X6Tv|-6101479124807499063/169937909/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|8430894815025925692/169937912/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=334225&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333133&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=55041&bmUID=1068484767902

Mike, I've been researching Digi cameras for a while. So far Cannon has them all beat, by local pros & CDNET, consumer reports ect. ... My sister doesn't like her Nikon because of various reasons. Not that any of this matters but it is MY opinion.

Last edited:

Maxx

Mike,
those are good cameras. My brother is a professional photographer in New York. He used to work at a big camera store in Boston called Levine's. he worked the rental counter which is where all the pro's coming into town for photoshoots go..(cheaper to rent than to ship your own gear in many cases), he said that this is one of the best camera's out there for a non SLR type. For the Record he's a Canon advocate and loves his Canon film camera (Elan IIe). I have a Canon film camera as well (Elan 7E), and I love it. However since I have a decent amount of money invested in my Canon gear it would make no sense to switch to Nikon for me, since none of my Canon stuff, (Lenses, Flash etc) would work on a Nikon.
There are really 3 kinds of Photographers...those who swear by Canon, Those who swear by Nikon, and everyone else. Its just like Skimmers, everyone has a preference and the difference between the high end models is really very little....They might do it differently, but the end result is the same.
You'll be fine with what ever you choose...
Altho Sony just came out w/ a new one that is 8 megapixels, 28-290 zoom, pretty fast aperture, (2.8 I think) and nighttime capability...ie IR illumination....
I'm not giant Sony Camera fan...but thats pretty cool, especially for nightime reef shots...even tho it only takes nightshots in the green common to Night Vision Devices everywhere....
Still.....
Nick

Hooked

Hey Mike:

I bought one of those on e-bay from the same seller a few weeks ago and I love it. I found it pretty easy to learn to use as it is similar to my Nikon N80. Truthfully, I prefer it over the N80. Has the SLR feel without the weight and bulk. Great macro capabilities and excellent for my work also. I have been using it daily and have had absolutely no problems. I was also happy with the seller. That's a pretty good deal if you need all of that stuff. If you decide to look for a less expensive package, I'd definitely recommend an extra battery and a bigger card. I bought a Duracell at Best Buy for $44. The card reader is nice, but not necessary and the rest of that stuff you might or might not need. I got the macro and tele lenses, but I haven't really needed them.

HTH:)

ddrueckh

Mojoreef,

That is a great camera. You may also want to look at some of the digital SLR cameras. They cost a little more, but you can change lenses and everything. Canon just came out with a digital version of the rebel for I believe $999.00 with a lense. They also have the 10D which I own and love for 1499, but that is for the body only. Good luck and have fun taking pics.

Dave.

p.s. I need to remember to dump things into my tank that I want to get replaced or upgraded. Sounds like it works good! :D

ReefLady

Staff member
Mojo, no worries bud you will LOVE your new camera. :)

FYI, I spoke with Mike about going DSLR, and basically talked him out of it. It's more features (and difficulty) than most casual users need, and the price of lenses to go with your $900-$1500 body amount to another $1000 or so if you want lenses good enough to do all those cool SLR features justice. And those are "good" lenses, not "great" ones. LOL

Too many people in this world spend over a grand on a DSLR and then stick cr***y lenses on them and the picture quality would've been better, cheaper, quicker and easier with a high-end point and shoot, like Mike's new baby.

JMO. :smirk:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a nikon slr n6006 and a digital canon g3 I think you can't go wrong with either one of those brands JMHO :D

RogueCorps

Hey Mike,

That thing is cool! I can't believe you get all of that stuff yet you don't get a wrist strap to keep you from dropping it in the tank. Looks really good though.

At that price, maybe spring for an extra $1,000 for an Ikelite waterproof housing. Especially for in-tank shots for your monster tank. :)

-Rogue