Octopus NW-200 Mod

Reefwerks

Skimmer threads are comical. These guys need to stop worring so much about that air flow meter and read Escobal's book. There is more to it than air flow but I dont think anyone even the scientist could get that point across.

Don

kinghokus420

i did the enkamat mod on my asm and i do notice a difference in skimmate 100%, no doubt. i couldnt tell you what my air flow is only that my eyes dont lie.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Skimmer threads are comical. These guys need to stop worring so much about that air flow meter and read Escobal's book. There is more to it than air flow but I dont think anyone even the scientist could get that point across.

Don

lol! take a poll on how many people have even heard about Escobal let alone read any of his work:dunce:

Reefwerks

lol! take a poll on how many people have even heard about Escobal let alone read any of his work:dunce:

Shame, those are some fairly smart kids playing with those elcheapo skimmers. I think if they used a little simple science, the group would be able to come up with one heck of a skimmer.

Don

kinghokus420

Shame, those are some fairly smart kids playing with those elcheapo skimmers. I think if they used a little simple science, the group would be able to come up with one heck of a skimmer.

Don

cmon then genius. give me a skimmer that works as well as mine for the total cost of my mods. hmm they were free. i dont see where you get off shooting down someones ideas because you read a book. hell, i read too but if i help others figure out what they can do better i will., instead of saying that their ideas are pointless because they havent read a book. yeah i know who escobal is, and guess what i've never read any of his stuff and my goods kick butt! if you would take your own advice and do some reading of what people are doing with their equipment then perhaps you may see that the hobby and its equipment is constantly changing. do you honestly believe that all of these guys on other sites are just throwing stuff on their skimmer and hoping it works? they are and guess what,some of them actually work. all of the dwyer meters and kill-a-watt meters are used for more than just paperweights. seems to me like modifying for better performance and then testing to confirm the results sounds fairly scientific.. go figure. if i can have a much better performing skimmer for a very small cost in time and $$ then im going to.
ok im done now.

fish wilson

on average most of the skimmer pumps take in around 5-7 air intake. with doing the mesh mod you will increase up to 15 to 20. it makes your bubbles extreamly tiny and more of them to remove the proteins in your system, now by doing this it makes for a wet skim vs dry so you have to empty more. but the effect removes twice amount out of you system that actually you would miss. thanks fish

Reefwerks

cmon then genius. give me a skimmer that works as well as mine for the total cost of my mods. hmm they were free. i dont see where you get off shooting down someones ideas because you read a book. hell, i read too but if i help others figure out what they can do better i will., instead of saying that their ideas are pointless because they havent read a book. yeah i know who escobal is, and guess what i've never read any of his stuff and my goods kick butt! if you would take your own advice and do some reading of what people are doing with their equipment then perhaps you may see that the hobby and its equipment is constantly changing. do you honestly believe that all of these guys on other sites are just throwing stuff on their skimmer and hoping it works? they are and guess what,some of them actually work. all of the dwyer meters and kill-a-watt meters are used for more than just paperweights. seems to me like modifying for better performance and then testing to confirm the results sounds fairly scientific.. go figure. if i can have a much better performing skimmer for a very small cost in time and $$ then im going to.
ok im done now.

Woo slow down just a little. Now that your finished typing go back and read what I said.
I in no way said anything negetive in regards to your or anyone elses skimmer. In fact I stated that the folks doing these are pretty smart and if they could just get past the air they could come up with something even better. I think its cool that these can be made into decent skimmer although I think they could be even better with a liitle more research.

Instead of assuming you know anything about me or what Ive read or not read I would ask that you first ask first or at least do some research. I subscribe to most of those threads on RC and have been watching for the most part every skimmer thread posted there for many years. Go back a few years and you will find it was me that started the mesh thing with a grill scrubber pad and the failed roloc dics. Go back a little further youll find the failed biobale mods to the sedra and aquatic eco biomedia mods.

This stuff isnt new, it has a history. It started with people like me wanting more out of a skimmer for less money. Almost every idea used on the those skimmers right down to the bubble diffuser plate came from guys on the web showing off what they came up with in their garage. In fact the diffuser plate came about when a number of folks on RC were trying to come up with a way to increase dwell time and decrease bubble size per Escobals book. Of course that idea as you see worked and was quickly snatched up up by commercial skimmer makers.

Thanks
Don

kinghokus420

i apologize if i was a bit harsh in my post, i usually dont get wound up like that but it was early and the coffee was still brewing:coffee:. i heartily agree with you that there is much more to how a skimmer works than the airflow. but the air is a big factor. if someone can do a cheap and easy mod to increase the air and lower the amount of power consumed then i say go for it.
i personally dont have the big bucks for a high zoot skimmer but i do have time and a few bucks to make the one i have work better.