October Coral of the Month: Zoanthids/Palythoa

tbittner

Yeah, I have that and use it but I was talking to folks on here about it and the steps and precision that you have to have....

I just wonder how acurate it REALLY is, know what I mean? I mean, you would have to use a stop watch for all the steps... :lol:

dobejazz

Here is a pic of nudi eggs to the naked eye it looked like a white pimple

9836nudi_eggs-med.jpg

Techno-Vicki

I got my first zoas on friday! I will post pics soon... I bought them BRIGHT orange, but they are still brownish since putting them in my tank, and I hope they color back up!

It really depends on your light. If you are running more in the yellow spectrum, it will go more brownish (your 10K). The more blue you get with your lights (20K) the better color you will see. If they are stressed, they also lose color (usually when I fresh water dip them), but they color back up in a few weeks.

have fun with your new zoas!!!

GeeWizzItsMe

It really depends on your light. If you are running more in the yellow spectrum, it will go more brownish (your 10K). The more blue you get with your lights (20K) the better color you will see. If they are stressed, they also lose color (usually when I fresh water dip them), but they color back up in a few weeks.

have fun with your new zoas!!!

Thanks Vicki!

vdituri

Hey Matt,

I have a question about zoos.
I've noticed some zoos have shorter tentacles (skirts?) around the outside and some have some very long tentacles. Are they different genetic variations or an indicator of mood?

Thank you in advance.:snshne:

aquaman3680

I am certainly no expert on Zoanthids, but from my experience/knowledge the more flow they have the longer the skirts get, but if they have low flow they stay short. I have seen this in the frag tank where there is a ton of flow but in the display not so much, the skirts are much longer in the frag tank.

JME

Matt

vdituri

Thanks Matt,
I never expect expert opinion. Just opinions. lol
It's not like I can sue you or anything. :)

bluespotjawfish

I've seen tentacles extend more in low light conditions as well. And, if they are frequently disturbed by fish (either by swimming across them or picking at them), they also stay as tight as possible to protect themselves.

Here are some pics of mine. I have 13 different varieties, 11 of which are pictured. The zoo rocks in the second and last photo were completely eaten down to bare rock by my Emporer Angel. Once the angel was removed they came back in full force!

Attachments

• P1040729-zoos-sm.JPG
    P1040729-zoos-sm.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P1040731-zoos-sm.JPG
    P1040731-zoos-sm.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P1040741-zoos-sm.JPG
    P1040741-zoos-sm.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 53
  • P1040743-zoos-zm.JPG
    P1040743-zoos-zm.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 53

aquaman3680

Thanks for the responses! Your zoos all look awesome! I guess i should put a new pic up of my two new zoo frags, they are tubs true blues and a nuclear green :)

Matt