October '07 Photo Contest Entry

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've seen it too; At the LFS they had a beautiful 'blue bell' gorgonian that a yellow tang was munching on pretty badly.

InLimbo87

Looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out. Gorgonians are one of the few categories of corals I haven't kept before.

HMA, is that gorgonian photosynthetic? Beautiful.. that and the blueberry gorgonian are both stunning.

forestal

the red one is non-photosynthetic. it was growing nicely with cyclopeezed feeding but the tank went kaput and all died, so i dont want to try again, as they are tough to care for

Raf

Ok, had to look long and hard for these shots....

The gorgonian:
gorgonian2.jpg

Close up:
gorgonian.jpg

:)

hma

Looks like I'm going to have to sit this one out. Gorgonians are one of the few categories of corals I haven't kept before.

HMA, is that gorgonian photosynthetic? Beautiful.. that and the blueberry gorgonian are both stunning.

yepp .... it is a photosynthetic gorgonian (Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata).

Here a picture of the whole gorgonian

Pseudopterogorgia%20bipinnata(full).jpg

Techno-Vicki

Absolutely beautiful photos everyone. It is too bad that such beautiful corals are so difficult to keep. I do know there are 2 that are slightly easier, the orange and the purple (correct me if I am wrong Heinz). I would like to try propagating those 2 in about a year.

hma

Absolutely beautiful photos everyone. It is too bad that such beautiful corals are so difficult to keep. I do know there are 2 that are slightly easier, the orange and the purple (correct me if I am wrong Heinz). I would like to try propagating those 2 in about a year.

.... accurate Vicki, the Diodogorgia is also very difficult to keep.

Diodogorgia%20nodulifera%20&%20Mandarin.jpg

forestal

oo, nice diodo with the mandarin :)
what do you feed it? (the coral) i had one of those and a red with white polyps and seemed to be growing on cyclopeeze but no long term success

hma

Hi Dan,

that is a really good combination , mandarins and any typ of azooxanhelle gorgonian. Also each kind of Pipefish is to be kept very good together with azoox. For a successful keeping a regular feeding (every 2 hours) is necessary. I feed all my gorgonians with a dynamic food complex from the following components.

1 part Cyclop eaze
1 part UltraMin F
2 part UltraClam
3 part UltraMin S

Ultrmin S is a liquid fodder solution. Here my Diodogorgia after feeding:

Diodogorgia%20nodulifera.jpg

framerguy

WOW, these photos are amazing. I don't have any gorgonians but they are definately on my christmas list now!! Heinz, what can I say, you are a definate inspiration to me.

hma

Heinz, how do you go about feeding every two hours?

Very simply explains Melanie. I take over that feed if I am at home . The other time (2 times in the afternoon) takes over that a family member (friend, sister, niece…). There the lighting only around 02.00 h/pm starts, it is only 2 times each afternoon. One does not feed in the afternoon once, that is also not "sooooo" bad. You do not have to feed always accurately every 2 hours. If you feed after one hour, or only after three, is also ok. :snshne: