Nutri-Seawater any good?

Sean99

Just saw this stuff online and I was wondering if it's any good? If anyone has tried this product it would be nice to hear their experience with it. They say it "instantly cycles" is this true? If you haven't heard of this here's the link:

http://www.nutriseawater.com/

Mike Johnson

I see they state it will "instantly cycle" along with the use of their live sand. Heterotrophic bacteria live on surfaces - sand, glass, rocks; the water column itself contains a very small amount of nitrifying bacteria.

I'm sure it will be fine to use, but I consider it too expensive.

I would not presume I have a complete nitrogen cycle unless I tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate first under any circumstance. Another consideration is that you will only have the amount of bacteria in your tank that can be fed by ammonia. This is why you add all livestock slowly a couple weeks apart; to build up these levels.

DaveK

I wouldn't say this is a bad product, but it's very expensive, even in an LFS, due to shipping.

Personally, I would completely discount any claims as far as "instantly cycle" and so on goes. Treat the product as another way of getting SW.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
There is a guy on my local forum who swears by the Petco seawater, says his tank is incredible. It is expensive though so I'd save your money and buy a quality salt.

I say about once every 3 months I do a 15g change with the Petco stuff "just because" :)

Sean99

Thank you everyone and I agree it's wayy overpriced, I think that money is better spent on coral than giving it to some guys wallet for something people can make themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Johnson

There is a guy on my local forum who swears by the Petco seawater, says his tank is incredible. It is expensive though so I'd save your money and buy a quality salt.

I say about once every 3 months I do a 15g change with the Petco stuff "just because" :)

That's interesting.

bullet

I am new to SW (in the beginning of time) was my first post. I used the nutrisea sea water when I set up our tank and was very happy with it within
5 days the tank cycled now we have our cuc in the tank on day six it has been a total of 8 days since we started
and we are very happy with the results, but yes it is very expensive to use. At my lfs it was $18.00 for 4.4 gal container
but was worth it to me being a beginner I figured why set ourselves up for failure. when we brought our water for testing even they were impressed with our results thus far. I should mention they are a LFS been in business for 21yrs. and have an excellent reputation for standing behind their merchandise. Any ways hope this helps