Now I'm cooking with gas!

Dingo

I picked up a few tips today, as well as a set of macro lenses to fit my camera.

Drew, you were right, turning down the ev a bit worked wonders.

498greenacroclose.jpg

498yellowpolypacro.jpg

498monticlose.jpg

If you guys can point out any other glaring things that I can work on, I'd appreciate it.

ReefLady

Staff member
Lookin' great! Since you asked, a little more front-focused on #2 would have made a great pic that much better. Remember, DOF is 1/3 in front, 2/3 behind your focus point. So if something is coming right at you, focus closer to the front than the middle. Takes some practice but it's easy and really works to get the whole thing in focus.

T

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I believe EV stands for exposure value, there are a couple of things that are measured in EVs, flash being one and exposure compensation is another. Not sure what else might be measured in EVs.

Dingo

Thanks, Dickie and Mattie.

I'm using a Sony DSC-F707. The camera is a couple of years old. It's a 5 megapixel digicam with a 5X optical zoom. The camera has a great Carl Zeiss lens. The only issue I have with it is that I couldn't zoom in on the macro shots like I wanted to, so I just went out and spent 30 bucks on a set of macro lens filters that screw on the end. Now I can get pretty close shots. They are hard to focus, though. Also, that lens is pretty big, so the camera would be bulky to take to Disney World, or something.

Many digital cameras allow you to change the sensitivity of the ccd inside that reads the light coming through the lens. That sensitivity level is called the EV. Is you turn it down, you get less exposure for a given arperture/shutter speed combination.

When I was allowing the camera to select shutter speed automatically, my photos were getting over-exposed, resulting in "blow out" or saturation of the brightest areas of the photo into white blobs. When that happens, you are losing color information in your photo. DrDrew suggested to me that I turn down my EV level to get rid of that, and I'm happy with the results.

Adjusting the EV level is not somthing that would help any particular photo. It's just that my particular camera over exposes shots of my tank. Yours may not.

ReefLady

Staff member
Wow, sweet! There sure are some great photographers on this site.

That second coral - what fantastic color. Can I see a shot of the whole thing?

Awesome.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Many digital cameras allow you to change the sensitivity of the ccd inside that reads the light coming through the lens. That sensitivity level is called the EV. Is you turn it down, you get less exposure for a given arperture/shutter speed combination.

Yep, this is also called exposure compensation ;)

Adjusting the EV level is not somthing that would help any particular photo. It's just that my particular camera over exposes shots of my tank. Yours may not.

Granted I have a limited experience, but I haven't met the digicam that doesn't overexpose in auto or aperture priority mode. Usually isn't a problem i shutter priority cause you want a faster shutter speed than is probably called for for the given lighting anyway. So that is probably a useful tip for most that shoot in aperture priority.

Which close up lenses did you get? I have the hoya +1, +2 and +4 and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I have been reading that you have a very thin DOF when using these filters.

TDEVIL

Originally posted by ReefLady
Wow, sweet! There sure are some great photographers on this site.

That second coral - what fantastic color. Can I see a shot of the whole thing?

Awesome.

i second that :) pink w/ yellow polyps, sweet

Jay

Dingo

Reefrunner,
I got a set of +1, +2 and +4 also. They don't behave exactly like I thought they would. They aren't magnifying lenses. Rather, they allow my zoom to focus closer to the camera. So to take a macro pic, I can take it out of macro mode and use my zoom. The more filters I stack, the more I can jack up my zoom closer to the subject.

With all three lenses, and the camera lens zoomed in, the DOF gets so narrow that it is really tough to focus a decent shot.

onghm

There are really many gifted photographers in this site.
Dingo, you are definitely one of them
Very nice shots.

Now I'm stucked to this forum :)

Gina

RS STAFF
Yes, I have to agree! I wish I could take photos like the rest of you! Great shots Dingo!! Beautiful corals!!

Dingo

Originally posted by ReefLady
Wow ... if you ever get ready to frag that .... :)

At the rate that thing is growing, I'll have a frag ready for you just before I retire. In 20 years.

jks1

so this is a general setting for the camera not a specific for the shot you are taking? Also do you shoot in Apeture priority or shutter priority? Great pics...

Dingo

I was shooting Aperture priority and choosing the highest f-stop that would keep my shutter speed above 1/60 sec. The only reason I wanted to keep up the shutter speed is because I didn't feel like turning off my pumps.