Not a newbie, but I might as well be! HELP.

Abouna

Hello all,

I just found this forum and am hoping to get off on the right foot. Within the next year or two I would like to get back into reef keeping. It has been about 12 years since my last tank and I assume I have been pretty much left in the dust where reef technology is concerned.

My last tank was a 29gal reef. I also kept a 5 gallon mini reef, which back then was fairly unheard of. My set-up was basic but very effective:

Fluval canister filter (don't remember the model) for main particulate and carbon filtering, this I ran through a PVC system with intake at the top of the tank and output through a PVC bar drilled with holes running across the bottom back thus pushing all detritus forward for easy cleaning.

All live rock suspended, again to ease cleaning and detritus clean up, on square plastic grid.

I also ran a double Bio-wheel filter which was the heart of my bio filtration, as I had decided against a traditional wet dry.

I also ran a skimmer though I can't remember what.

I read a lot of Julian Sprung and John Tullock back then, not sure who to read now. I'm basically looking at this as if I'd never done it before. I am hoping to get advice on:

- what to read
- what gear is like and what brands to look for
- anything you wold tell your best friend who has no experience with slat water.

I do know I want:

- at least 40 gal, maybe as much as 60+
- I kept all live rock with soft corals before and I suppose I'd be doing that again as hard corals, at least back then were troublesome and quite a lot more expensive.
- a few small reef fish, I had a clown, yellow tang, mandarin and probably a gramma of sorts before. That was enough to keep the tank interesting. Plus your assorted shrimp or small anemone crab.
- giant clams were always a favorite of mine.

As for the system, I assume there are new choices now. What I had before was very successful but I wouldn't want to duplicate it again unless it was the best way to go.

As for lighting, back then I was always partial to halides over fluorescents, not sure I would be today as I don't know what is available. My preference for the halides stemmed from the shimmer/sunlight effect you'd get which fluorescents couldn't duplicate.

I hope that makes things more clear. I also don't want to go broke!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Abouna

depending on your budget there are many options to all the things you mention.
1: live rock= great choice excellant for biological filtration
2:fluval= really no need for one except maybe to run occasionally for water polishing
3:fish= pretty good choices there also keep the bio-load low
4:lighting= very important if you want to keep corals you could get away with power compacts with soft corals but not give you the shimmer you talk about. But yes halides are in use these days but keep in mind they run very hot and will raise the temp of the tank which can be a real problem depending on where you live. these days power compacts (pc's) are pretty bright. Hope I helped and welcome to RS

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome! Hmmm.... where to start... hehe. :)

As far as reading, try our sister site, Reef aquarium index. Over 1500 articles listed there, and believe me, I work hard at keeping it up to date.

For a system of 40-65 gallons, you could set up something nice with an aqua-c remora pro hang-on skimmer, live rock, and halide lighting. Please do check our sponsors for supplies... they keep this site going!

Hard corals aren't so tough anymore. Good, efficient protein skimming, CA/Alkalinity balancing and good water-quality habits make pretty much any LPS coral very easy to keep. If you do decide to start with softies (not a bad idea), make sure you set up your system for hard corals down the road.

Many of the principles are still the same. Give them light, flow, and good water, and they'll give you long-lasting enjoyment.

T

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS :)
Here's some great books:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert Fenner

The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael S. Paletta

Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibilty by Anthony Calfo

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric Borneman

AFA tank size the bigger the better, more volume of water the more stable your parameters will be and you won't be so limited to the selection of fish you can keep, a 75 gal is a real nice size. If you want to keep clams and SPS then I would suggest Metal Halides, if heat is going to be a problem then T5 lighting may be good enough especially in a shallower tank like the 75.

Canister filters, bio-wheels and wet/dry filters aren't recommended for reef tanks because they're incapable of denitrification. Live Rock, good skimmer and great flow is all you need.

Are you going Bare Bottom, Deep Sand Bed or shallow Sand Bed ?

Yarr

Weclome

LR for bio filtration and a good protein skimmer.. those are an excellent start. Id go for hallides, drop the canister filter.. fish are all good apart from maybe the mandarin.. aunless u can provide them with about 100lbs of lr to feast on.