No Skimmer Tank..?

As i was sitting in front of my tank cursing the Skimmer God, an idea (bright or not) came to my mind. We use the skimmer to take out any non fish tank loving junk to help control our nitrates and phosphates. Which I completely understand.

What came to my mind was our tanks go through a series of twists and turns just to go back to our DT why wouldn't the CPE, Purigen, CPE, and filter floss that most of us run act as the skimmer catching all the junk and an algae scrubber taking care of the nitrates and phosphates? Also add to the CUC ;]

Just curious as to what people think about this, and if its just me really wanting to get rid of the skimmer or if its an actual logical though process for once haha :nekid:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I run CPE times 2 & Purigen & phosphate reducing filter pad & still my skimmer gets out some SUPER NASTY smelling gunk. I'd hate to think what the skimmer gets out might be building up in my tank. I do my WC's on a regular basis too. I think it takes it all to have great water quality. I'm even going to add a sump with a (HOPEFULLY) better skimmer soon.
Why do you not like your skimmer?

I always read about everyone getting big thick nasty gunk in their skimmer and I really never get anything but on the neck! It doesnt seem to pull out hardly anything, even with two mp40s and the two return nozzles pointing up towards the skimmer. IDK i just feel like the skimmer just doesnt work for me!

jerry26

if you have a light bio load the skimmer will typically act that way. mine doesnt really pull that much but as soon as i start running biopellets itll start pulling a thick nasty almost black liquid.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 4

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Skimmer not pulling out the nasty gunk could either mean that your feeding/bioload is light or the water level adjustment is not quite right thus causing the gunk to collect at the neck instead. There could be other factors involved but most of the time, these are the 2 key issues :)

I dont get lots of skimming as well, using the red sea stock skimmer. Only have a layer of them on the neck of the skimmer.....
I have 8 fish, and feed twice a day. I do spot feeding the coral once to twice a week.
I think its all about the brand of the skimmer too, some are good and some are not as good. But I dont have much problem so far with my tank

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I always read about everyone getting big thick nasty gunk in their skimmer and I really never get anything but on the neck! It doesnt seem to pull out hardly anything, even with two mp40s and the two return nozzles pointing up towards the skimmer. IDK i just feel like the skimmer just doesnt work for me!
Can you see tiny bubbles forming foam at the top of your skimmer? You should be able to increase the air flow in your skimmer until you do. I have a fairly light bio-load (5 fish & assorted LPS corals) and at 1st my skimmer didn't produce skim to drain out. It took a while & turning up the air flow to my skimmer to get it "dialed in" but it works good for me now. I have to empty out the cup every other day. I think you just need to play with adjustments & keep your skimmer running.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Diana,
If you are emptying the cup that often, what is the skimmate like?

Can you see tiny bubbles forming foam at the top of your skimmer? You should be able to increase the air flow in your skimmer until you do. I have a fairly light bio-load (5 fish & assorted LPS corals) and at 1st my skimmer didn't produce skim to drain out. It took a while & turning up the air flow to my skimmer to get it "dialed in" but it works good for me now. I have to empty out the cup every other day. I think you just need to play with adjustments & keep your skimmer running.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana,
If you are emptying the cup that often, what is the skimmate like?
It's like tea colored water...I probably skim way to wet, but I don't mind it, it stinks so it's doing a good job.
My nitrates are too low to show a reading but my phosphates are (or were, haven't tested in a couple of weeks) a bit too high. I don't clean the skimmer neck out but once a week or so. It gets grossly nasty.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Supposedly, you want the skimmate as dark and gooey as possible. My is dark but not gooey. The goo comes from the neck. However, I do not have to empty mine as often as you.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Supposedly, you want the skimmate as dark and gooey as possible. My is dark but not gooey. The goo comes from the neck. However, I do not have to empty mine as often as you.

Mine is only about 1/2 full when I empty it & it has never been dark. Im always afraid it will have a run-away and over flow. I only have 5 small fish in my tank, so I know it's skimming too wet.
I still have/using the RSM 250 stock skimmer. I'm planning on having a better one from LifeReef for my tank's one year birthday. Hard to wait that long...I'd like to have it NOW. :rollingey

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
I don't have a problem with the stock skimmer. The only time I get bubbles is sometimes right after the pumps and skimmer kick back on after I feed. It probably takes my cup at least two weeks to fill up, but it the skimmate is dark just not gooey.