No LED's for ram-250 & 130

mike1970

i was just at MAX in oc I talked to one of the reps at Red Sea and he told me there will be no LED up grades for the 250 or the 130 only for the S series's. I guess I'll have to get the rations now :-(

Pat24601

i was just at MAX in oc I talked to one of the reps at Red Sea and he told me there will be no LED up grades for the 250 or the 130 only for the S series's. I guess I'll have to get the rations now :-(

This doesn't remotely surprise me, but I must say I'm deeply frustrated with Red Sea on this issue because of their ludicrously bad communication.

If they aren't supporting the 130 and 250, fine. I kind of suspected that and that's why I now have Steve's LEDs.

However, why not actually come out and say that when we've asked about a million times rather than saying "subscribe to our newsletter" or nothing at all? Why whisper it to someone at MAX rather than make an official statement so we all know what the situation is and can move on?

They've been deliberately dancing around this question for over a year now. All I wanted was a straightforward answer...whatever that answer is...so I'd know if I could rely on them or do something else. Not really asking too much, I don't think.

ziggy

Mike - Any whispering on when the e-250 may be coming out

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Ok, I think I had better clarify this, please rest assured this information comes from senior Red Sea management because when I saw this post I immediately knew the information to be incorrect.
Clearly something has been lost in the explanation somewhere. We understand the wish for hobbyists to own a MAX with LED but the closed top design and SPS-ready criteria means that finding a solution is not a simple process. We therefore continue to test and explore various options.

Pat24601

Ok, I think I had better clarify this, please rest assured this information comes from senior Red Sea management because when I saw this post I immediately knew the information to be incorrect.
Clearly something has been lost in the explanation somewhere. We understand the wish for hobbyists to own a MAX with LED but the closed top design and SPS-ready criteria means that finding a solution is not a simple process. We therefore continue to test and explore various options.

I am 100% OK with this answer. Saying we need to test and make sure we have a solid product is entirely reasonable.

I don't need or expect a release time with an answer like this because they probably literally don't know.

Last edited:

ziggy

so led FOR THE MAX ARE STILL BEING DEVELOPED (i.e. have not been eliminated)

mike1970

idk the rep at max said only for the S series that's why they are making the E series tanks and he said they will be out some time in the summer. I think they are telling people this to sell the last of the 130 and 250 tanks if people knew no LED's for them they would just wait for the E series tanks

Pat24601

I never want to doubt anyone's veracity, but it does seem safe to say there will be no LEDs for the 130 or 250 anytime soon regardless of which information is correct.

Even taking the more optimistic information from Kev, if they don't even have a solution they like, we are probably talking a minimum of a year? More? That is if they ever decide they can make it work to their satisfaction.

So, for those of us wanting LEDs I think the answer basically is look elsewhere unless we are willing to wait a really long time for something that may or may not appear.

I'm happy with my recently installed Steves.

Even aside from the LED issue, if folks decide they like the E-series better, I think it makes sense to wait for it rather than buy the max now. The E-series appears to come with an open tank, which is a nonstarter to me. My kids would have all sorts of stuff in the tank before the water got in. :)

Last edited:

ziggy

and I would think some sort of screen on top is needed to hinder the jumpers. a solid cover would retain heat