No brown jelly, but Frogspawn is disappearing

I got the frogspawn along with a fox coral and a plate coral 10 days ago. The water the frogspawn shipped in was freezing when I got it, even though there was a hot pack in the package. I acclimated with drip and put in tank. It was in the sand, but my clowns kept "kicking" sand onto it. I noticed one head had starting to retreat back into the skeleton, so I moved it higher on rock. That head eventually receded completely. Over night it had toppled off the rock (darn snails) back on the sand, and after I picked it up this morning, another head looks to have started to recede.

Not sure what to do, looking for suggestions. I don't see any brown jelly yet. I've been reading about treating with Iodine, but haven't seen any instructions on how to do that. Do I mix into 3 gal tank, dip for 10 min, and then put back into main tank? Or do I need another container to rinse after I dip it?

Attachments

• Damaged Frogspawn2.jpg
    Damaged Frogspawn2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Damaged Frogspawn3.jpg
    Damaged Frogspawn3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 69

framerguy

It's hard to say for sure. They need lots of light so move it higher may help. They like flow, but not to much flow. Situate it so it is waving, but not being blown to bits. I don't have my links to iodine dipping on this computer so maybe someone else will help there.

Thanks for the advice, hoping that moving it from sand closer to light will help. Did also notice a little white slime on one of the recessed heads. I've seen that a lot of people frag dead heads off to stop disease from spreading. Haven't tried fragging yet, so doing some research on that too.

yvr

If the infection is severe you can frag the whole head or if it just a small area use airline tubing to siphon off the dead/necrotic tissue . Then try a giving the coral a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis.

bskinn77

It sounds to me like your frogspawn has just been irritated a lot. I would put it somewhere where its not going to get knocked over.

BigJay

looks like RTN to me. It may have died in shipping or opened itself to severe infection. Iodine dips can sometimes save it and may be your best course. I always rinse my corals after a dip treatment. I do 5 minutes in the dip followed by about 5 minutes in a rinse. I do that as not to get too much iodine or coral dip in my tank. You may get lucky and 1 or 2 heads will survive but the coral is not looking good. I can see exposed skeleton on just about every head.