No big ugly hang on slimmer please

Doogle

No sump and don't want a big a honkin ugly skimmer being an eysore. Do the ones that look like a freshwater hob filter work good? What about making one from an aquaclear50? For 29-35 gal tank. .

tnwillia

IMHO with your stated options, I'd say up your water change schedule and amount and press on. Good luck!

DaveK

Building a skimmer out of an Aquaclear HOB filter would be very difficult, and you'd end up with something of very limited capacity.

Consider the AquaC Remora. It's not that large for a skimmer, and will hang on the tank. As for the "ones that look like a freshwater hob filter", it will depend upon the specific model in question. Some are good, others are out and out garbage.

DaveK

Some additional skimmer information -

First off, and this applies to all equipment purchases, always buy top quality. This does not mean most expensive. Yes, this can mean that it will cost a lot more initially, but it will last and not have problems.

Skimmer manufacturers are very "optimistic" about the size of the tank you can use it on. Typically you want a skimmer rated for a tank that is 2 to 3 times the size you have. Since we are talking about a 30 to 35 gal tank, the skimmer should be rated for about a 70 to 110 gal tank.

Do your research before you buy. There are a lot of junk skimmers out there, and you don't want to get one of them. Read the reviews on them and ask questions.

Doogle

Yes I research a lot and I have decided to invest in a good One fOr I always have for my freshwater filters and this is the best piece of equipment for the tank. A lot of options and opinions here but ac remoras bacpak r octopus keep popping up.