NitrItes

ladygwen

Have had the tank set up for three weeks now. 75G tank, 45 lb base rock, 40 lb Caribbean LR, 5in sand bed. Started testing water parameters from the get go and had a ammonia spike up as far as 7.5 within just the first few days, along with nitrItes of 4.0. Have been testing every couple of days since then and had my ammonia drop to 0 one week ago. The nitrItes have stayed the same since @ 4.0 and thats with doing the diluted version of the test. How long should it be before I start seeing a drop in the nitrIte level???? :help:
Just thought I'd have started seeing some change in the last week.

Thanks All For Any Help !!!!!!!! ;)

Witfull

this depends on if ammonia is still being prossessed,,,it may be at 0 but still being made and convert to trItes quickly, but the bacteria for trItes to Trates hasnt built up a large enough colony...patience and it will happen.

BoomerD

It's not uncommon for a new tank cycle to take 6-8 weeks before both ammonia and nitrites are at 0. However, with lots of live rock, I'd expect it to be less. If the rock you got had lots of stuff die off, then that will fuel the ammonia/nitrites, and as long as things are dying, ammonia will be generated and turn into nitrites. Just be patient...remember;
Only the BAD things happen fast in this hobby. The GOOD things take time.

addict

LOL. :D

Like the others have said, you'll see three spikes during a cycle:

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

At each spike, you'll see the previous levels start to zero out. So what you're seeing right now is the second spike in the cycle... there's now enough bacteria to produce nitrite from ammonia, but the bacterial cultures that turn nitrite to nitrate are still growing. Once the nitrate levels start going up, you'll see the nitrites go down, and once it hits zero, it's time to do a water change and really start enjoying this hobby.

But take caution... these next couple weeks will be the only time for the next several years that you'll have extra spending money... use it wisely (take it from me... I'm always broke now). :D