Nitrates

2455coop

I have been freakin out for the last 4 months because my nitrates have been at 40 ppm. Nothing I did made the nitrates chnge. From water changes to cleaning the whole tank. So...as I was talking to the LFS, They asked if the water I was changing the tank with was ok... I told them it was r/o. They suggested I bring some tank water in...So I took a sample of my tank water and my r/o water...Both samples tested 0ppm....

So the conclusion of this is that what I was using to test my tank is out of date and is giving me bad test results...

My LFS goes through about 2 bottles of nitrate tests a week....:jumprope:

Bill

andy12265

Wow same here...my nitrates are high also...but i think mine is from the crushed coral substrate i use so i gotta remove it and lay a sand bed...sounds like a lotta fun!!

lcstorc

Removing the crushed coral can be really fun. haha. Tried to do it on my reef and finally gave up. You don't want to do it too quickly since there is good bacteria in there as well.
As to the nitrate tests I have 3 sets 2 always read from 0-5 and the third reads like 80. If has to be a bad test kit at least in my case but for whatever reason I always use all 3.

2455coop

I purchased the test about a year and a half ago...It doesnt have an experation date on it...just a lot number

Bill

lcstorc

With mine I was removing it with a slotted kitchen spoon bit by bit. It is a mix of ls and cc and I wanted to leave as much of the sand as possible.

2455coop

Yo...Lynn

What are the 3 types of tests that you use...Are they from 3 different manufacturers...Which one give you the best results

lcstorc

Hagen and Red Sea both come in a 0-5. AP comes up 80 or higher. I've had my lfs test repetely and it seems the Hagen or Red Sea matches their results. I should probably just ditch the AP but so far have not. I'm going to order a Salifert next since most say they are the most accurate without getting major expensive.

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
Do you have live rock and a sump or cannister filter? Cannisters and sump are notorious for being nitrate factories if not kept absolutely clean.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Strange, I have used AP nitrAte kits for years with no issues. I even purchased a Salifert test kit to compare readings... both read the same.

Two important things; make sure the AP is not expired and be sure to shake the reagents thoroughly prior to use per the instructions. Reagent #2 is thick and settles very quickly.

See this thread regarding AP expiration dates --->http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ssion/9184-ap-test-kits-expiration-dates.html

Cougra

I've had problems with a brand new recent lot of Hagens test kits reading way out of reality. I had my tank measure 5-10ppm with an AP kit and 90ppm with the Hagen test kit. I brought the kit back and the LFS didn't want to do a refund on a defective product. I even got them to test the kit against theirs but they told me I had to deal with Hagen myself. Well, instead I decided that I'll never buy any dry goods from them again (have two or three other stores near enough where I will buy it and made sure I told the manager and company owners when I saw them. Funnily enough I got a free complementary test kit of my choice next time I went into the store. (I like browsing and found out that sometimes it's good to be recognised at a LFS!)

2455coop

I do not have a cannister. I do have a sump that I have converted to a refugium. I took the bio balls out and put in a sand bed thats 3 inches deep with grape calerpa and several snails. The only other thing in the sump is the heater and protien skimmer.