Niger Trigger does anyone have one in a reef tank

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I've not heard of them being good in a reef. The blue throats and pink tails can be with caution but I've never heard if that one.

ReefApprentice

Iwouldnt trust it in a reef tank. They enjoy munching hard objects (ie live rock)to wear down their teeth. So what would be the difference of a coral and live rock to it?

DaveK

Niger triggers are a great fish, but as others suggested, not in a reef. Like other triggers they eat just about anything, and are very fond of any shrimp, crabs, snails and other similar livestock in the tank. They are a great addition to a FOWLR tank though.

The best solution to your problem is to simply get another SW aquarium :)

dalesreef

They will not touch corals at all had a couple over the years lost one cause he jumped out
The other one had for 3 years he was one of my favorite fish till he snapped one day out of the blue he started eating all the other fish in the tank
After getting him out brought him to a lfs the guy said they all do that at some point
As they get older said youll never know when it will happen as far as reef safe yes minus snails but not fish safe lol
Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

rufus2008

I have one, two years now, only time he shows aggression is the addition of new fish. He leaves my corals, snails and hermits alone tooo. I also have a bursa trigger and haven't had any problems with him either. And I have a mixed reef with coral banded shrimp, purple reef lobster, snails, hermits and coral. They do eat alot so you should have an oversized skimmer if your going to keep one.

DaveK

If you have a niger and a brusa trigger in a tank with "...coral banded shrimp, purple reef lobster, snails, hermits..." I'd say you are very very lucky. 99.9% of the time the triggers would clean those right out, no matter how much they were fed.

While I'm glad it's working for you, I don't recommend anyone else trying it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I have a blue chin and a pink tail in a reef and I have no issues with either.

Yeah those are the 2 i've heard that seem to have some success. I would assume that over time your snail population would dwindle but well worth it considering the beauty of a trigger in the reef.