Nifty little snail

rckmtl

So I found this snail on a rock while cleaning the tank. I mostly think it is nifty cuz I've never seen one before. From pics on a recent post, I think it looks like a stomatella(sp?). But all the pics I've seen of those, the snails have been a pale sandy color. I like this one cuz of the neat contrasting pattern. Also...it's.. tail? mantle?.. whatever the back part of a snail is called, is texturized, kinda spiky.

It also acted funny. I've never seen a snail give a rip about what is happening around it, but when I looking at this one, if my finger got too close, it would stop and back up and a couple of times it swiveled it's eyestalks upwards like it was looking at me. It's like it was a smart snail. Kinda weird.

5l4gp5

5l4gw5

5l4h2u
5l4h9u

5l51qc

P.S. I've recently discovered the wonders of using a hosting service to store my pics, the just linking them into the post. If I am posting photos that are too big, or if you have dial-up and my posts have to long of a load time, please pm me so I can fix the sit. in the future. Thanks!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Awesome photos Ellen!! I've never seen a stometella with a shell pattern like that... maybe someone can ID it for us....

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Excellent photos - you can see an amphipod very clearly in the second shot right infront of the stomatella.

Awesome Boomer!

rckmtl

Thanks everyone! Thanks for the links Boomer, It does look like the same type of shell pattern as the varities in the second link.

Yeah-I thought the pic witht the pod was funny. kinda looks like the snail is either going to eat it or run it over!

KimPossible

I recently had one id'd in my tank. After I found out what it was i googled the web. I was surprised to see the variety of colors and mostly....shell shape! I thought the pattern on your snail was the same as the Stomatella. And I saw a similar shaped shell, but just not the zebra coloration, although I'm sure theres a pic out there somewhere!

Boomers the bomb....thanks for the links.

rckmtl

Kim- Yeah, I was supprised as well when I looked through the links that boomer posted. But I keep forgetting that we only get tiny portion of what's out there coming into the stores.

Wit- Thank you! I'm using a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10. It takes good pics as long as i'm patient.