Next Project. Closed Loop:D

Tosh_Auer

Ok i am finally at the point of putting in my closed loop and getting my holes drilled for it. The thing is i would rather only have one hole drilled for the closed loop and hook the return from the closed loop upto PVC tubing sitting above the tank. I dontknow how to explain it but the drain for the closed loop would be the drilled hole and the returns would be in the form of a spray bar. anyone with anything similar to this please show me your designs or pics of it.

Tosh

Maxx

Hey tosh,
Dumb question here,
But if you're really uncomfortable drilling for a closed loop, why drill at all? If you're going to drill at all, why not drill enough to make it functional?
You dont need to drill the tank for a closed loop. Its just more efficient for the pump that way.
Nick

sfxer02

Hey Tosh here is my set up not sure if it helps but here it is anyways! I drilled all my holes myself! The tall pvc is my intake and prime tube for my pump!

1083376100closedloop.jpg

Far left and right are my closed loop returns and the one in the middle is the sump/fuge return. The pvc is the intake for the closed loop!

1083376100closeup.jpg

HTH

Tony

Last edited:

Tosh_Auer

Maxx i can see what you mean by if one why not all, but the reason is simply because there is only one place where i live that is willing to do it and insure that they will not break the tank and well it is about $30 a hole so am not too keen on getting anymore holes drilled then i really feel i need to. I have to get my take drilled for my drain to my sump anyway so i figured i would get a drain to my closed Loop while i was there.

Maxx

I hear ya on that one Tosh.....
I've been doing some planning, (And asking ALOT of questions!) and here are the plans for my closed loop. The only hole drilled in the tank is for my drain to the sump.
HTH

Maxx

I'm using a 4 way OceansMotions unit for the wave maker. (www.oceansmotions.com) an Iwaki 55 RLT (pressure pump) for circulation thru it, and I'm going barebottom. I'm going to be hiding some of the return plumbing, (the bottom) in the overflow box. This keeps the tank clean looking and not all cluttered up w/plumbing pieces. This image just shows the returns of the closed loop, and does not show the intake. I'm just going to hang the intakeoff the side of the tank and paint it black so it blends into the background of the tank.
Nick

Tosh_Auer

Curvball and Max Thanks alot for that they really help. Still would like to see more from anyone else who has the chance. and i would also like to know what paint is usable inside a fishtank.