Newbie with Aiptasia

suboptimal

Hey all, I'm a newbie at this (one week). Purchased a Red Sea Max 130 aquarium from a local provider. They setup the unit complete with live rock about 10 days ago. Since then the tank has been cycling and I've testing the chemistry (which appears good at this point). After the first few days I noticed one particular piece of rock that had anemones on it. I thought this was cool, until I realized (from reading online) that this was Aiptasia. Called the store and they said I need to eliminate it using special chemical (i.e Red Sea Aiptasia X). It seemed that only one piece of rock had them (8 visible), so I removed it (placed in bucket with salt water, mechanically removed the Aiptasia that I could see).

Should I try to save this rock (i.e. clean and return to the tank), or dispose of it (take back to store for refund)?

Thanks!

DrHank

Aiptasia are just part of the hobby. Unfortunately by manually removing them, you've slightly complicated matters. They will grow back. What they told you was partially correct. I'm not sure what the Red Sea Aiptasia X contains but you can pretty much be assured that it is extremely alkaline. If your tank had been completely cycled I'd recommend a peppermint shrimp. Since it isn't I would use Kalk paste. The least expensive way is to check Walmart or a local grocery for Mrs. Wages Pickling Lyme. It should be availible seasonally in the spring and fall for less than $3. Mix a paste and apply (feed) it to the aiptasia. Be careful not to get it on any corals or mushrooms as it will kill them too. Good luck and keep your rock.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The good doctor has given some sound advice. I might add that the AiptasiaX is a good product that I have used with success and is extremely easy to use. It comes all wrapped in a pretty package with written directions. Perhaps more apt for a beginner. :D

Jess

I have not had much luck with Aiptasia X. I thought it worked at first, but now the population has multiplied greatly. You do have to be VERY careful that you get the 'needle' into the actual mouth, because if you don't, if you even miss by a fraction of a hair, you just create more aiptasia (and you won't really know if you have or haven't until time passes and either they stay gone or come back with a vengeance.) After I noticed it not working, I tried a few peppermint shrimp (I have a 24g nano). They have since disappeared. Just last week I got 4 berghia nudibranchs and am hoping they will do the trick. Although I have to say as the days go on, tiny aiptasia are sprouting everywhere, on the glass, my magnetic cleaner, my koralia. So, I have a hunch my problem is too much even for the berghias.

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, just sharing my experience. I personally think Aipt. X works best when you only have a couple to get rid of, and that it works 100% the first time.

Good luck to you! :thumbup:

suboptimal

Thanks all for the replies. Looks like I should:
- return the rock to the tank (it's been in a bucket of salt water for 48 hours now)
- get a peppermint shrimp (as there is nothing else in the tank, this would be the first critter in there)
- invest in Aptasia X (and hope for the best....)

Jess

Sounds good. I wish there was such a thing as "guaranteed aiptasia free!" LR... ahh, a girl can dream....

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Might want to get a couple peppermint shrimp. They are hermaphrodites, and that way they can stay preggo all the time. Raising baby shrimp is incredibly difficult, but the fry will be enjoyed by all in your tank.

IME peppermints only deal with baby aiptasia, and leave adult ones alone, If you have nothing else in your tank, no corals or photosynthetic inverts, one thing that works is to shut off all tank lights. Get a house lamp and place it near the tank. The aiptasia will migrate off the rock and climb the side of the tank to the water line to get near the light (they are photosynthetic after all)

After a week or so they should all be near the water line, and you can nuke them, or take the water level down a few inches and hit them with ice cubes, or scrape them off with a razor blade or whatever.

Discovered this completely by accident after I went on a cruise and the light on my refugium went out while I was gone, and I came home to a bunch of aitasia lined up at the water line in the fuge. Have used it since

acemow

I've used Aiptasia X most recently and so far it worked. Peppermint shrimp ate small aiptasia but on the big ones I tried lemon juice, boiling water, lemon juice white wine vinegar and SW mixed, all injected with a syringe into mouth and they didn't work! I like clownfish's idea above.