Newbie to the Live Reef

tab0012

Hey, Taylor here!

Getting into this wonderful hobby, my father has a 150g salt tank just for fish and I grew up watching my uncle do custom 350+ tanks all live rock. I am looking at taking a dive and found this setup on CL.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/for/d/lake-mary-120-gallon-drilled-salt-reef/6979409504.html

What do you think? Is this a good one to start out with? I am familiar and have had numerous fresh and salt tanks in the past. Never have played with the live stuff though. LMK your thoughts. I look forward to getting into the community!

DaveK

Buying a used SW system is a lot like buying a used car. Some are great deals others are a rip off.

You really need to go see the gear and look at it's condition. Any chips in the glass or failing seams in the sump or other areas indicate possible problems.

You also need to see what you can actually use. For example, if your going to need to replace the lighting or skimmer and so on, those pieces are useless to you.

Typically used equipment should sell at a big discount over new. Typically, I figure out what parts of the system are useful to me, figure the current new price, and figure the most I'll pay is about 65% of the new price, if it's all in excellent condition.

Offhand the price for what your looking at seems like a good deal, provided you take the above factors into consideration.