newbie to salt and computers

Dumpster Dave

hi all,

i'm not only new to salt but i'm also new to computers so be patient with me. my wife however does a lot on the internet so she set me up with a signature and avatar. (thanks dear)

we paid for all the equipment today - and the LR and are picking it up next weekend - finally converting the 90 gallon to salt! :whstlr: oh ya, the wife finally gave in!

currently we have a 210 gallon freshwater tank which houses our eels and plecos as well as many other varieties of fish. a 135 gallon bismarck frontosa tank. the wife's 77 gallon oscar tank with some other cichlids to keep 'felix' company. a 46 gallon aulo. tank to breed syno. and aulo. a 33 gallon blue crayfish tank (we breed and sell them) and then some other tanks with either freshwater, crays (or fry tanks) in them scattered here and there around the house.

i keep trying to find somewhere else to squeeze in another tank... but alas there is no more plug-ins! :waa:

i am railroader... hence the nickname... recently retired from there but still working somewhere else - keeping busy! have 3 kids 7, 12 and 19.

well i guess that's it.

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome.

My prediction: By 2007 all those tanks will be reefs/propagation tanks. :)

cioutlaw

Geesh...next time I go to the zoo im just going to come to your house. I like how you put the wife & kids on the list as well LOL That deserves some Karma!! Welcome!!

blue_eyes53813

Hello. With the great beauty of reefs and Saltwater , you will have more than one tank. Should we take a poll of when he will be adding or even getting a bigger saltwater tank. ? I say 6 months.....

Little Luey

Hi there. I think Travis is right, all those tank will be saltwater in a few months, you got the salwater virus and it spreads super fast.

KimPossible

Welcome to RS Dave!!!
Glad to have you aboard :)
This is quite a pic.... thought provoking...yes...
(Compliments of "Da Wife" )
jan06cover.jpg

Dumpster Dave

giggling... this is da wife! my name is aleesha... and yes that is a beautiful cover image on my magazine :D steve is a talented artist!

we are taking down our little 12 gallon tank which is salt... we've had it for a year now and it's doing okay... nothing spectacular though. after setting up this new 90 gallon yesterday... and the cost that went into it... there's no way he's going to convert my other tanks to salt! *she says and hopes it's true*

so here's the new setup:

2x250 watt HG metal halides - 2x55 watt actinics and 4 moon glows

d a smith 1/4 horse power pump - dart - with pvc closed loop system.

coralife sump (not hooked up yet) and some really gorgeous rock from one of the guys tanks who works at 'hidden reef' in abbotsford... it's been in his tank for 12 years so it's good to go in our tank!

so we have a reading of 0.3 for ammonia and expect that to be gone by wed at the latest... if it's gone by then, we'll be picking up our 'cleaning crew' kit (snails, crabs, sand sifting starfish, cleaner shrimp etc) on thursday!

here's the tank today:

salt012906.jpg

Icebox

It is great to have you around. Salt tanks are like rabbits. They multiply and get bigger quickly. I started with a 29 then moved a 55, then a 40 or 45, then a 75, then a second 75, then I got a 150, but I decided that was not what I really wanted, so I traded it in before I ever got it set up and Now I am setting up a 180.

That should be the last change for a while. Well other than a frag tank at some point. :) The wife does not know the plans for that yet. :)

Anyway it is great to have you.

Dumpster Dave

ya i hear you. we started with a 77 gallon and within months we were up to 13 tanks... then... as time went on... we cared for the 12 gallon salt and so then i finally caved and agreed to covert our 90 to salt.

with the expense of this tank... there won't be anymore salt tanks, unfortunately we just can't afford to do anymore. but this one will be SPECTACULAR!!!