Newbie to Corals... Help Me!!!

Javjuice13

Hey guys I've had my tank for some time now. When i first got my tank i was just a child, and my father always maintained it. However it seems that he has lost interest meanwhile i fell in love with reef tanks. So i kinda took charge in maintaing the tank. When i first got home from college the tank was in the worst of conditions no corals or plants, algae was growing everywhere, many of the fish had died, but i made it my summer project to bring it back to its "glory days." I was successful for the most part in bringing it back did many water changes to get rid of all bad bacteria and got new LED lights and most of the algae was gone. I bought 2 fish and watched them carefully for a month and they are health. I was looking like a genius to my family because the tank was so stunning and beautiful.... HOWEVER i thought i was ready for the next step in coral so i first bought a leather and then bought something that LOOKS LIKE an anemone but the guy at the fish store made it clear that it was NOT an anemone... I am so frustrated that i can't remember the name but it looks like a anemone but it stays on the sand... For the first two weeks it was looking fine but the all of a sudden it became a lot smaller than usual and just today it looks like it is losing tentacles and i am able to see the skeleton disk... it has lost all tentacles on a 3rd of its entirety...most of it still has tentacles but they are shrilled up.... I'm so confused on whats wrong with it... will the tentacles grow back? is there anything i can do to help it? is it a lost cause? should i remove it from my tank?

Just a not- Will my (anemone thing) is not in its best shape my leather is doing great

Please help me any input will be help full

-Javier

newo11

Can you take a picture and post it up?

Also, what are the parameters of your tank? Are you adding anything to the tank besides just the water changes?

Snid

Try to get up to 5 posts so that you can share a picture. You could even just keep replying here until you have 5 posts to do that, then upload a picture somewhere on the Interwebs like Photobucket or Picasa, and link to it here.

In the meantime, are you able to share with us your water parameters? Ideally we'd like to see your water tested for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, Phosphates, Alkalinity, and probably Calcium and Magnesium too depending on the corals. The first three are really critical ones to test for fairly regularly, fyi.

It might help to know if you are using RODI water, and what type of salt mix you use for water changes.

Hang in there. The key to long term success with reef tanks is patience, lots of reading, and good husbandry. ;)