Newbie needs help on 45 gallon FOWLR tank

mjbenzon

So, i go back and forth on a local fish store and I feel like I'm getting different answers every time I ask the same question on a different day. And it's confusing me!! ^_^ I'm very new and I'm not even familiar with the terminologies. So here I am asking all you good people to please, help me ^_^!

My uncle gave me a 45 gallon tank and a few equipments. This tank used to be a freshwater set up. So now I'm turning it into a saltwater. But I wanna take it slow coz purchasing all the equipment all at once will put a whole on my pocket. Right now here are my equipments:

45 Gallon Tank (36x12x24, or the other way around ^_^)
a set of t5 lights (2 bulbs, 39 watts each)
eheim 2215 (I don't know what this is doing here ^_^)
20lb live rock
about .75 inch sand bed
and of course saltwater (bought it already mixed in the store)

So now here are my questions:
1. Is my light enough? I can get another set of t5 but I was told this would do if I'm just doing FOWLR.
2. Reading through all the forums I realize that I might be running the wrong filter. Should I get a protein skimmer? Should I get a sump? Or are they just optional. I'll eventually get a protein skimmer and a sump, but which one should I get first? Can you guys suggest which brands and type are good for my tank? Also If I get any of those, is there any other accessory that I need to get for those or they pretty much ready to assemble and use out of the box?
3. I know that 20lb of live rock is not nearly enough but I'll keep adding more every paycheck hehe. I'm aiming around 50-60lb. Is that the average?
4. Do i need a pair of Powerhead? or is this also optional? Which brand and type are good?

I'm pretty sure by now you know that english is not my first language and for that I apologize. But pretty much my next plan is to get a cleanup crew and a fish to start my cycle. (That's what the guy from the fish store told me)

Thanks in advance for the help!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here some help... 1st don't add any fish or CUC until your cycle finishes.

read up here... on what is a "cycled tank"

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

So now here are my questions:
1. Is my light enough? for some corals yes & fowlr - I can get another set of t5 but I was told this would do if I'm just doing FOWLR.
2. Reading through all the forums I realize that I might be running the wrong filter. Should I get a protein skimmer? Yes Should I get a sump? Or are they just optional. Yes I'll eventually get a protein skimmer and a sump, but which one should I get first? Skimmer Can you guys suggest which brands and type are good for my tank? Also If I get any of those, is there any other accessory that I need to get for those or they pretty much ready to assemble and use out of the box?
3. I know that 20lb of live rock is not nearly enough but I'll keep adding more every paycheck hehe. I'm aiming around 50-60lb. Is that the average? about 1 to 1 & 1/2 pound to a gallon... try to add all at once or new LR can start the cycle again...
4. Do i need a pair of Powerhead? or is this also optional? Which brand and type are good?

Lots good info on starting up.... in the link above... Good Luck !