NEWBIE in the house

ladygwen

:hallo: Hello all !!!!!!! Pretty new to SW had previousl had a 16g cube set up.

Now have new 75g glass
4 in sand bed (estes marine sand)
35 lb base rock
remora with 1200 maxi jet skimmer
PC retofit with 2 10k & 2 actinic
Looking at live rock possibly Caribbean... Anyone have opinion on good source
Also have questions regarding peoples preference on test kits and powerheads
not sure how many powerheads should have and how large each should be.
Want eventually to have LR, fish and a few soft corals.
Have one powerhead now pushing about 450g/hr, but having a problem with it pushing my sand around quite a bit, is there a certain way to prevent this? It seems however I adjust the flow it's still pushing sand.

So glad to find there are people out there with some good knowledge to help out us newbies
Thanks to All
Suzi

blue_eyes53813

Hi Suzi, Welcome to Rs. As for the powerhead moving sand. you will just have to keep moving it and finding the best spot. Mine moves some sand around too. The liverock will help break up the powerhead flow a little... Test kits.. i use hagen. Ammonia,nitrites , nitrates, calcium , Alkalinity and PH. Live rock sales are very easy to find online. check out the sponsors of the Reef sanctuary site. Good luck with the new tank.

ReefLady

Staff member
Hi! :)

Blue eyes has given you some great advice here. Maxi-jet powerheads are the best in my opinion, and I swear by Seachem and Salifert test kits.

Good luck with the new tank!

T

Icebox

Hello there. Welcome to the boards. I had some hagen Powerheads for a while, but I did not like the fact that they did not come with covers / screens over the inlets. I have since bought Several, 6-8, you can never have too many, Maxi Jets.

Again. Welcome!!!

Craig Manoukian

Welcome, welcome, welcome Gwen!

I've never had a problem in 5 years with any Aquaclear powerheads with the Maxijet pump!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! :)

Maxi jets and Hagen powerheads.
Salifert and AP (Aquarium Pharmacuetical) test kits. The only AP test kit that is inacurrate, IME, is the ammonia; it reads 0.25-.5 even with zero ammonia.

Witfull

ladygwen said:
This princess is from Clan MacClelland
ayi my wee bonnie lass,,,ya come form good stock, william wallace is your kin,,,

my ancestors are Mary stewart (lost her head to henry viii) and the inventors of stewarts whiskey~