Newbie here...

Rhyne

Well, here I go again...back to the reef. I've had several reef tanks of various sizes over the years and now, with a mortgage and some presumed stability...I re-enter the reefer world.

The idea goes like this...

Plan on keeping Ricordia, 'shrooms, zoo's and some shrimp, maybe even a fish or two in:
stadard AGA 20 Long (corner box surface skimmer and drilled overflow)
10 gallon sump with ASM mini skimmer
Mag Drive 3 for return
55w PC wth 50/50 bulb
Rio mini 50 w/Hydor flow deflector
100 watt heater (in sump)

Thinking about putting a mini refuge in the sump and slap an 18watt PC over it...thoughts?

Glad to be back to the reef...

Rhyne

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Rhyne, Welcome to RS! unless your really really sure about the tank size, looks good. Whats the plan for substrate? Steve

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
Sounds like you have been planning for a while. The only problem I see is that I would want a bigger display. If you already have the 20 then it sounds like you are good to go. If you have any extra room it the sump it is a great idea to add a fuge. Just add some baffles and some macro with the light you should be good to go.

Rhyne

To answer several posts....

For the substrate I was thinking black sand...about 1" deep. I'm not looking to keep more than 2 or 3 very small fish (so I should plan on keeping the most expensive one I can find...), but maybe a goby or 6 line wrasse later on down the road.

I am locked into the 20 long, for now at least. As for the sump...My current plan is a 10g with the skimmer and a Mag 3 for a return with a hydor flow deflector on it. I was thinking about doing the fuge as a 2.5 sunk into the 10 before the skimmer and return. Any thoughts on this idea....realy would like to do the fuge (I have an 18 watt mini PC set that I want to use...toys..love em!)

I'd appreciate any input on the sump set up....

Dragon Wrasse

Use Caution with the "Black Sand".....Some black sand is volcanic and is rich in phosphates and can be unsuitable for a reef setup....Aragonite the size of sugar will promote a population of microbes and minute invertebrates (infauna) and over time will release calcium ions into the water helping coral growth. just my two pennies.......

Rhyne

Thanx DW, appreciate the input....really do not want to start an algae farm...any suggestions for a dark substrate?