New

DaveK

Keeping corals generally require excellent water conditions, the proper amount of light and water flow for the species you want to keep, and making sure your other livestock will not eat them.

As for ease of keeping they range from fairly easy to almost impossible depending on the species. Tell us a a little more about your current tank or your plans and we can give you a lot more good information.

Oxylebius

I suggest reading as much as you can about the corals you are interested in keeping (books, online articles, etc.) and making sure you set up a system that can house them (tank size, water flow, lighting needs, and filtration systems (e.g. chemical, biological, mechanical).

Here is a good start: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners.4/

Start a tank thread so you can ask questions and get responses, which can assist you in any issues or decisions that you are trying to make. Sometimes you get different opinions, but this is good b/c you can look do more research on those opinions to see what may work out for your situation.

DaveK

A note on buying books. If you want a copy check to see if a used copy is available. You'll often save a lot of money and an older edition is usually not that much different.

Uncle99

Yes! I have seen many.
To be honest, my learning now comes from either the membership at Reef Sanctuary or you tube, no books anymore, The good is tons of information and the bad is tons of information, but I do concede to the power of the net.

Oxylebius

The problem with the internet is that there is so much contradictory anecdotal info that it can be confusing. Having a solid foundation in understanding basic chemistry and the various types of filtration that occurs in tanks provides for a solid foundation of understanding. A book provides for this, for the most part, where you are given information that connects from A to Z. Unfortunately, some videos or articles tend to start at C or E and go to M, while skipping G and H. The point being, getting some information w/o knowing limitations isn't necessarily helpful. I find that many books cover the basis and thus allow someone to better interpret the information posted on forums or videos. Be able to sort out those that are helpful from those that aren't. And you can't beat a good identification book. The corals book posted is fantastic!