New Zoantids/ Photo advice wanted

Cougra

I'm shamelessly showing off my new Zoanthid colonies here and asking for tips on how to get better photos! First the nitty gritty, then the photos:

I have a simple point and shoot digicam 3.1MP Fugifilm A303 camera. I take my photos with the highest resolution and reduce the size using PS7. I've also been running the Actions that Travis so kindly pointed out to us but I still find that my photos aren't the best quality.

Even when using the marco setting on some of these, I'm getting some grainy photos or shots that are slightly off focus. Could I get a few tips on how to make these decent shots better?

New here are the photos of my new Zo's:

45new_buttons_4.jpg

45new_buttons_3.jpg

45new_buttons_2.jpg

45new_buttons_1.jpg

sharks

Contributing Member
Congrats on the zo’s Michelle!
The pics are nice and since I have a crapy cam I’m tagging along for pointers :D
I love the first one with the blue centers :bugout:
S

ReefLady

Staff member
I'm seeing a lot of noise (graininess). This could just be your sensor, but check your "ISO" setting. It looks as though you're shooting at about 400 with an average P&S digicam. Try lowering the number, just be prepared for a slower shutter speed as a result. If these pics are at 100.... your only solution to fix the noise is a new camera.

One other note- the "high-pass" action also adds noise, especially to an already-grainy image. Try a side-by-side comparison with and without the high-pass filter.

Travis

Cougra

THe camera is very basic and is preset iwth 100 ISO. I can't alter that. As for the graininess, it's there before going through the filters and I avoid using high-p*** as much as possible.

Since I can't afford a new camera (would rather get a new tank!) I guess I'm going to have to be satisfied with this for a while.

Here are some of the before filtered shots. The noise is still there so I guess I'm maxing out what my camera can do:

Click on the link for the before and after filter shots
http://www.fishtanksandponds.com/extra photos.htm

(I don't know how to post a picture here without having it in the album and I don't want to add the before shots here)

Last edited:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I don't know how to post a picture here without having it in the album and I don't want to add the before shots here

Hit the post Reply button on the bottom right of the thread, from there you can enter your message and attatch a picture (look at the bottom of the posting screen.