New XM 20K Metal Halides

chinoxl3

Hello all Reefnicks:

Just got my brand spanking new XM 20K metal halide from Hellolights and so far so good. However they are really blue and I was wondering if they will stay that way or turn a little more white. I have attached some pictures so you can see them 30 minutes after I turned on the lights.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Now thats alotta blue!!
Too much for my taste. Is it really that blue in person or did the camera screw up the colors?
Great looking leather.

chinoxl3

I forgot to mention I have 4 X 55 PC Actinic that I used for dusk and dawn. Thats why theres a lot of blue. Eventually I will only keep 2 X 55 PC or get rid of the PC's and go VHO.

mnreefman

i used them as well, after they burn in it will become a much crisper white color. this usualyy takes about 10-14 days... youll really enjoy the color...

mnreefman

Originally posted by Reef Geek
Now thats alotta blue!!
Too much for my taste. Is it really that blue in person or did the camera screw up the colors?
Great looking leather.
LOL THESE ARE BLUE... once they burn in they are great

chinoxl3

In person, its not this blue. But since there are actinics on, it makes the picture look really blue. I have to learn how to mess with the white balance.

ReefLady

Staff member
I forgot to mention I have 4 X 55 PC Actinic that I used for dusk and dawn. Thats why theres a lot of blue. Eventually I will only keep 2 X 55 PC or get rid of the PC's and go VHO.

Would it be possible to put the PC's on timers? Have them come on for the dawn/dusk cycle, but turn off while the MH's are on?

It'll greatly save on bulb life as well.

Great pics ~ nice tank!

chinoxl3

I noticed since I added the lights, more bubbles are coming out of the BTA tips. I guess he likes the lights. Also the open brain is looking even bigger than before. I dont like the blue that much, so I'll follow Reeflady advice and use the actinics only for dawn/dusk cycle. Once the lights burn in, I'll post some pics.