New to the Reef Tank world. About to purchase a 220gal Reef tank. Suggestions welcome

sophie

Hi all,

I have been running a freshwater tropical tank for about 25 years and am finally up for a change. Although I have read up on and asked a lot of questions about Reef and fish tanks, I thought I should ask the opinions of other's as sometimes going to you'r local aquarium shops have different standards on the quality of products.
So here is what I have just been priced upon....

6 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot Tank, cabinet and marine hood
6 foot Sump
Eheim Jager Heater 300w
Aqua medic Turbo Floater 3000 ( have heard some bad things about this ) Please feel free to add opinions on protein skimmers ( price is not an issue for the most important part of the tank)
2 x 210 Watt ( cree 3w led ) panels
Eheim Return pump 3000 L/H
3 x circulation pumps 12,000 l/h ( has not stated brand )

These are the obviously the main components, please feel free to suggest different brands, I am not too keen on the Aqua Medic 3000 due to a few reviews I have read although def want a no noise ( low noise ) skimmer.

He has also suggested I buy about 80kg of live rock to start up this tank and 120kg 1mm coral sand...

Not a cheap new hobby but can not wait to have this up and going.

Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Re: New to the Reef Tank world. About to purchase a 220gal Reef tank. Suggestions wel

Welcome to RS. What a way to start off 220 wow I started with a 45. Talk to Devon about setting up a mixing station and auto water change else you will hate this hobby with a tank that size. I believe he is the resident expert when it comes to automation

sophie

Re: New to the Reef Tank world. About to purchase a 220gal Reef tank. Suggestions wel

Thanks for the info Rob, will do.

Yeah, I like to go big and have a large space to fill, just want to make sure I get all the right equipment. Use to fresh water fish so I've heard that there is a lot to do to maintain a healthy tank. Lol what am I getting myself into.

engineer goby

It's a very addictive hobby that you will love. Just remember to take your time everything good happens slowly but disaster strikes over night. You have an edge over most though with that water volume you have a much larger margin for error then most.

lethal

Welcome to RS Sophie and good luck with it all.

sophie

Thank you all. It's great to have some enthusiasts to speak to. I thought that the previous tanks were a delight but I must say that sw reef tanks are simply amazing and am looking forward to the challenge. Fingers crossed all goes to well.

engineer goby

You will do fine as long as you take your time, read and ask frequent questions regardless of how basic you think they may be. It's not so much difficult as much as its being cautious. Good luck

sophie

Thank you very much Rob,

I must admit I find it so much more satisfying talking to other's with this hobby.

Will post pics as soon as this is up and running...and hopefully over time there will be an amazing array of different coral living happily in my home lol.

engineer goby

Start a build thread, we love pictures even of empty tanks. It will be fun for you and all of us especially months from now looking back at the progress. Also it will aid in constructive criticism

sophie

I will def start a thread. Constructive criticism is welcome by me. Some1 out there always has a lot more knowledge that's for sure.

ChrisOaty

With a tank this size I'd highly suggest an auto monitoring system like an apex or reefkeeper system. It would allow you to monitor some of your parameters, manage your lighting/timing and your top-off, etc. From everyone I've spoken to with larger tanks, it's one of the most worthwhile investments one can make.

dmatt88

U may want another heater. Also check that the room you are putting it in is sufficiently wired for the amperage. Big welcome. A 220 is a great tank.

........the mayor has spoken

sophie

Thank you for the suggestions. I will def have to look into a reef keeper and another heater.
Is it usual for 2 heaters to be running though?

sk8rdn

sophie said:
Thank you for the suggestions. I will def have to look into a reef keeper and another heater.
Is it usual for 2 heaters to be running though?

No, its smart. Redundancy. Especially if either one is slightly under sized...

...."Fish" Happens!....

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM

With the controller (apex, reefkeeper, profilux) you can control the heaters so that one can "kick in" if there is a need. If not, it is a back up and with the money investedin reef tanks, back ups are welcome!

engineer goby

+1
Run 2 heaters my tank is 90 and on winter mornings I need 2 heaters in order for temp to be maintained. It's also piece of mind in the event 1 fails.
Can't wait to see some pictures

Built347

Ahh the jealousy is brewing. I want a 220 so bad... welcome to the forum.. good luck with the monster tank... I recommend apex for all your babysitting needs... :)

..... A10 Tang buster..

Built347

Welcome to RS. What a way to start off 220 wow I started with a 45. Talk to Devon about setting up a mixing station and auto water change else you will hate this hobby with a tank that size. I believe he is the resident expert when it comes to automation

Thanks Rob!. :) and yes I can show you how to make a super awesome mixing station.. with a few hundred dollar investment well get u set up with a station to automate countless gallons of water onto your floor ..lol.