New to SW: suggestions for a 20 gal tank

DaveK

Getting back to the original post...

I'm not trying to bash you, but in looking at your fish selection and equipment selection, it's very obvious that you are completely new to SW and have little knowledge about the subject.

Just to give you an idea, someone new to FW might ask, "Can I put those neons in with those African chiclids? Will a big goldfish bowl work?"

Before you go further, stop, and get yourself several good books on state of the art reef systems. I recommend The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Palette and The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner.

At this point you need some good background information, just so you can plan something reasonable. While the information is available on the net, it's very tough to find it, and digest it. The books are a much better place to start.

Then plan what you want to keep, and look into the size system you'll need to house the livestock. You may find yourself needing a much larger tank, or changing you fish selection.

SW systems have a lot more going on in them. What would be a minor mistake in FW can easily result in the total collapse of a SW system.

The 20 gal size tank you are interested in can be done, but it's considered small, and will have limitations.

Lastly consider costs, by the time you get done, with a fully stocked tank you will spend between $35 and $50 for each gallon of water in the main display tank. So figure for a 20 gal tank, you'll end up with about $700 to $1000 invested in it. You can deduct some of the cost if you already have some of the equipment, and/or can build a lot of what you want as a DIY project.

Good luck! You have a lot of reading to do! (Smile)

hobbeslax

Ugh...sigh: Much thanks for the city of brotherly love

Thanks for the literary suggestions. I will look them up.

For the other people willing to help.
1) I've already stated but allow me to reiterate :hammerhea :banghead: : I am new to this and I am looking for your expert experience and advice, hence why I have come to this site for sage advice

2) a 20 gal tank is the only reasonable one that I can allow for right now. I know that 50 gal is the recommended but I already have one running and don't have the room right now. I have seen other smaller tanks successfully run. So please spare me and don't continue to tell me that they can't be done.

3) If this tank will cost the hundreds of thousands of dollars as the last guy has suggested then I guess that salt water tanks are only for the elite and thus i am out. :drown:

Re: Your mission

If you buy equipment used or scour for good deals, and get coral frags from local reefers you can make out pretty cheap (well at least compared to buying everything from LFS).

it also depends alot on what you want to keep as far as corals and fish. If you want only leathers, zoas and some LPS, your system will be significantly cheaper than if you wanted to keep harder to care for SPS corals. Also I would keep your fish stocking to a bear minimum to make things easier to keep in check like 1 or 2 small fish total.

My reef is a 25 gallon here's my equipment run down that I am pretty happy with,
Nova sundial t5 lights, Remora pro skimmer, via aqua poly reactor for carbon and ferric oxide (great deal), Ebo jaber heater, Modded mj and hydor 1 for circulation and an in tank fuge. Also a 75gpd ro/di filter from air water ice (a good source of DI water is key!)

yungreefer2410

it only costs as much as you want it too. i am 15 years old but have multiple tanks because of lots of patience. this hobby is not as expensive as some ppl make it sound on your tank i would NOT have a skimmer on it just a algae turf scrubber and a refugum. also DIY as much as you can will save lots of $$$$

hobbeslax

Thanks everyone for their advice. I'm splitting the difference and buying a 30 gal long tank this weekend.:dryer:
I'll going to get the input from a good pet store in the area.