New to Nano

wav0718

Thanks! I just finished putting in my emergency shut off float swithes. I placed one in the sump and one in the back part of the tank where the water level is lower. If I loose siphon, the water level will rise in the back part of the aquarium, trigger the float switch to shut off the return pump or if my return pump fails and my sump starts filling up then the pump in the back of the aquarium will shut off and lower the water level below the overflow.
Tested it and it works. Here are some pics.

Back of the aquarium -

CIMG0894.jpg

The sump -

CIMG0895.jpg

wav0718

Well it has been a while since I posted some pics. My tank is doing well. Here are some new addition and updates.

Purple tip Acro doing well
DSC02742.jpg

Monti is doing well (some new growth)
DSC02708.jpg

Hammer Coral is getting bigger
DSC02710.jpg

Garf Bonsai with some new growth at the base
DSC02718.jpg

Some new additions -

Blueberry Gorgonian (hope I will be able to keep it alive, it kinda looks in bad shape. The store I bought it at kept the base in the sand. I cut the dead part off and mounted it, only time will tell)
DSC02709.jpg

Sunset Monti
DSC02713.jpg

Leng Sy Cap
DSC02715.jpg

Rainbow Monti (hopefully it will color up in the shade)
DSC02721.jpg

Sold to me as mummy eye (sold cheap as it was half gone, trying to nurse it back, doubt it is a mummy eye, but looks like a nice pink and green if I can manage to save it)
DSC02731.jpg

Atlantis Simplex
DSC02732.jpg

Sold to me as Blueberry Monti (Don't think so, but was only $30. I believe it is some sort of Monti Verrucosa)
DSC02733.jpg

?
DSC02741.jpg

Two new residents
DSC02722.jpg

Blurry pics (sorry)

Superman Monti
DSC02711.jpg

Pink Lemonade
DSC02720.jpg

Full tank shot

CIMG0937.jpg

wav0718

I stumbled across a thread on reefcentral about a diy screen top. I liked how the screen top looks better than the eggcrate.

The materials

Columbia diy screen kit - 10.38
Spline Roller - 3.45
Extra connectors - 2.57
Bird Block Netting - 9.97

All materials can be found at home depot in the door/window section. The Bird Block Netting is found in the garden section outside.

CIMG1024.jpg

CIMG1027.jpg

CIMG1028.jpg

CIMG1029.jpg

(used the dremel, but found the saw to be much more effective)

CIMG1030.jpg

CIMG1031.jpg

CIMG1033.jpg

Finished Product

CIMG1035.jpg

CIMG1036.jpg

lcstorc

We have several members who have done similar things to keep their bluespot jawfish in. The eggcrate is just very easy so that is what most do. You did a great job and this top should allow more light to get through as well.

wav0718

Thanks Icstorc. Yeah, I had eggcrate but liked the look of the screen better. As for lighting, you are right. It does allow more light in.

Here is a pic of the eggcrate top (notice a lot of light reflected toward the
wall)

CIMG1050.jpg

And a pic of the netting top

CIMG1051.jpg

vdituri

I like that look ALOT better than eggcrate and mesh combined.

Very nice DIY job as well! Very clean looking.
How do the grid gaps compare to eggcrate?
Smaller or larger? Seemed some people had jawfish find a way thru eggcrate.

wav0718

Thanks. The mesh holes are a little bigger than the eggcrate. To make them smaller I doubled up on the mesh top. You can kinda see it in the above pic where I am rolling in the cord.

lcstorc

If you are thinking of getting a blue you will need to find a way to cover the area by the overflow. A blue (or really any jumper) could get through that gap.
You did a really good job and it looks very professional. I believe Dentoid and bluespotjawfish are using the same method.
Since my T5 just sits in the middle I went very low tech and have window screen attached to eggcrate. Maybe when I re-do the tank I will re-do that as well. The way yours is so neat and tidy makes me think mine is cheap and ugly. :)

get rid of that seachem ammonia detector with the suction cup on it....takes away from the beauty of your tank...otherwise..nice tank.

i had purchased that oceanic nano skimmer like 7 months ago...made a nice tiny bubble show, other than that...garbage. i traded that thing off for a nice piece of cabbage coral.

got any new pics?

steve

wav0718

newest pic was the one from 5/29. yeah the seachem ammonia detector was on my first aquapod tank.. i have since upgraded to the solana tank. i'm going to redo the rockscape and plan to post some pics soon. thanks for the comments.

wes

wav0718

New rockscape with frag rack

I really didn't like how my rocks were layed out and I noticed some dead spots where there was no flow. So I decided to redo my rockscape. Here is a pic of how my rocks were layed out.

CIMG1058.jpg

CIMG1059.jpg

Here is the eggcrate I used to anchor the rocks.

CIMG1053.jpg

CIMG1061.jpg

CIMG1063.jpg

I also used some plastic rods and drilled holes in the rocks to run the rod through for support.

CIMG1064.jpg

CIMG1066.jpg

CIMG1067.jpg

And finally, here is what it looks like now. The water is still a little cloudy from all the moving around. (you can see the eggcrate, I guess I should of painted it black. Oh well, hopefully it will get some nice coralline)

CIMG1080.jpg

CIMG1072.jpg

CIMG1075.jpg

CIMG1079.jpg

And the fragrack

CIMG1082.jpg

CIMG1074.jpg

i was just gonna say the same thing about the egg crate. that's the good thing about reef tanks...everything gets covered with something eventually....egg crate is so ugly but once covered, no one will ever know. i like your frag shelf..good idea.

steve

wav0718

Thanks for your comments. One problem that came up was the change in level of my rocks. Some of the rocks that were covered with coralline were moved higher and closer to the mh lights. Well, the coralline turned white.. :(
Hopefully they will start coloring up again.

NICE...:yummy: I like the rockword, how its pushed all the way to the back and centralized directly into the center area, nice and compact looking with lots of nooks and crannys for you to stick frags and for stuff to grow. Still plenty of room for some corals along the bottom front area too if you want. I like the light, very cool looking as well. I'm jealous!!

Steve