new to all this

Parks

Hi guys im craig i has got my self a red sea max and are haveing a few probs keeping fish alive the tests look all good to me but not to sure can any anyone give me a few tips i love my tank and dont want to give up thanks heaps
Craig

ReefLady

Staff member
Welcome, let us know what your tank parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate readings), temp, salinity, etc. Also what your setup is (filtration, etc), how long the tank has been set up, what you have for livestock, etc. etc.
What kind of fish have you tried to keep, how long did they live, and what symptoms did they display (if any) before they died?

We're here to help!

jjohnson3

Did you let the tank cycle before you added the fish? Reefladyhas said it all...Welcome to RS.com!!!!!!!

Parks

thank you very much for your reply just had water test at the shop its all good the fish i have lost are 1 clown purcula ,blue tang,buterfly ,royal dotty,it has been a while since i have lost one but then last night i lost the clown with is a mated pair witch sucks my tank is cycled i have a sailfin tang witch is the oldest about 4 m old a coarl beauty 1 clown left and a cleaner warsse 1 brain coarl an elegance and a heliofungia water temp 25c have chiller all corals are out and growing

yungreefer2410

no tangs will do well long term in a tank that small. esp a sailfin. one of the biggest tangs out there IMO. what are your parems exactly?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Welcome Parks! Whoa! That bioload is way much more than that tank can handle. With that community of fish, the stress level is off the roof for all of them! The aggression must be overwhelming.

Tell us more about your system.
How much LR?
How much sand?
How long has it been running.

Parks

not sure prams at the mo at work all the fish are small the bloody fish shop guy has been putting me wrong the whole time bye the sound of it what fish would be good for a tank that size??

MatthewJ

:welcomera
seriously...stop going to that fish store. I wouldn't even trust their tests. Before you buy a fish, do some research on it on the Internet. A simple google search will usually do. I've found the site Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums a good place to go and browse for ideas. It tells you minimum tank size. For example, it has 125 Gallons for the Sailfin...over 4 times the size of your tank!

I looks like you currently have: percula clown fish, coral beauty, cleaner wrasse, sailfin tang.

I recommend you find a new home for the sailfin tang. You should be fine with the others. Maybe, after you've had no deaths for some months...you could add another small fish.

redsea reefer

Do not add anything to your tank before doing research on any animal you want in your tank and take out the sailfin as soon as possible, they need to be in 125 gallon minimum tank. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH, YOUR TANK MATES ARE COUNTING ON YOU TO PROVIDE THE BEST ENVIORMENT POSSIBLE. You also need to buy your own test kit. The API saltwater test kit is good to test Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph. You also need to monitor Temp and Salinity. do not trust that LFS.

Rue

Yes. I run one too.

4-5 small fish is really all that the Max can hold. Or any 34g tank...

Parks

thanks for the help guys will off load tang the guy at the reef shop has 13 fish in his red sea max can you belive that and some are really big like a purple tang now i have a pc i can look more into reserch it really suck the shop would give you the bum stare like that just there to make money thanks again guy need the help:clink:

redsea reefer

Any time, LIVEAQUARIA.COM has very good info on fish and other stuff about saltwater and reef tanks. Do not listen to that fish shop, obviously they do not know what their doing or just don't care- 13 fish in a 34g rsm and to top it off their tangs HORRIBLE!!!. Do buy the API saltwater test kit, thermometer and a refractometer to check salinity, liveaquaria sell one for about 45 dollars, hydrometers are unreliable. you want to do all the testing yourself so you know the specific numbers. Ask all the questions you want.....