New Tank

Here is a pic of my new tank now that the 20g is gone. Here is my 35g. Still a work in progress :bigbounce

Attachments

• 12-15-1.jpg
    12-15-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hi, it is a 36" 35g Im running 250watt halides 20k also 2- pc 03s. 10 gallon sump with a quite1 3000 for return. A wave maker runs 2 powerheads that cycle every 15 mins. and a 26" skimmer ran off a rio 1700. It is a mixed tank of sps and lps and a few softies, and a couple of croceas. The sps seem to blend into the rocks in pics ill try to get some closeups. I still have some other corals to add ,so i will get some better pics as soon as the larger sps and colonies get added.

BoomerD

Looking pretty good Shannon...Don't you have a bigger tank as well? Been a while, and my memory is ...ah heck, I forget... :columbo:

Woodstock you have a sharp eye, It is:
CaribSea Geo-Marine: Florida Crushed Coral. I ran southdown in my other tank then went barebottom, now I use this because I can set frags down in the bed and they attach to it. It is less than 1 inch deep.

mps9506

I want some close ups!!! :D
Let's see some more.
What kind of 20k's are you running? I have a similar lighting setup with 2x250 watt over a 40 breeder. I run 10k's now, but I just ordered some 14k's to see how I will like.

Im running Hamilton 20k But just one (typo at the top), at this time because of heat. I live in an area that gets 105 degrees plus in the summer.I dont want to use a chiller if I can get away with it. Im only 19.5 inches deep in this tank so if I find it isnt enough light (comes out to 11 watts per gallon with pcs) I will go with 1- 400 halide with 20k xm bulb.so I dont have the heat of 2 bulbs, but we will see how it goes.Im going to try to get some close up this weekend.

mps9506

If you are worried that isn't enough light and want to stay with a single 250 watt halide consider getting a 36" PFO parallel reflector. You can put a sinlge metal halide in the center or one at each end of the reflector.
With a single reflector in the middle you will get enough light spread for the entire tank.
I have this reflector with two halides, one at each end of the reflector, I can cut just one bulb on and it lights up enough of my 36x18x15 tank to keep SPS anywhere IMO.
I use two to saturate the entire tank with light and hopefully prevent bleaching or recession at the base of my corals as they start growing.

I know what you mean about the heat, it gets bad out here during the summer too, and we typically deal with a very high humidity. we don't have to deal with 105+ though.
Here is a picture from our last local reef club meeting. Part of the guys tank is out in th garage with a chiller. The high temp is the outside air temp, the lower temp is his chiller doing a dern good job:
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421522708/1.jpg

That is something to think about for sure. But this time I want my tank to be fun and not a full time job like all the others......LOL

I took a few pics today will try to post as many as turn out.

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 82

wooddood

the wood dude
it looks great, nice and full you did a great job congrats you should be proud of it.

dave. :smoking:

mps9506

You could always just try a small fan attached to the back of the tank.
I have one that blows across the top of my tank attached to the wall, it actually looks more like a spotlight than anything else. It keeps my tank cool, usually my temps have been staying around 77-79 depending on the humidity in the apartment. Without it, it jumps up to 88-90 easily.

mps9506

You could also consider a DIY dorm fridge chiller. But they do increase the ambient room temp (but so would any chiller).