new tank

BuDZnSuDS

So I just got into saltwater tanks and i thought why not get a small freshwater tank thats 10gallon just to learn with. I know about water chemistry already and the cycles but my main goal is that i would love to learn how to breed. Is it at all possible to do in a 10 gallon tank and what are the easist fish to pair and also easy fry to raise?
-Blake

Varga

So you're trying to use a freshwater tank to learn about saltwater??

I had fresh since i was 12 and honestly I learned nothing about salt till I started a sw tank. Plus in my opinion, once you have a sw tank the fresh looks pretty boring :D

Reddog170

It apears that, if I understand, you are taking a 10 gallon freshwater tank and turning it into a 10 gallon saltwater breeder tank. I sugest reading through bigals 10 gallon thread. It will help out a lot with setups, lighting, skimmers, and what corals to keep. Best of luck to ya, and do not forget to post pics, we love pics. Shaun

Luukosian

Fancy guppies are almost impossible NOT to breed. Not much money in it but its neat to watch the differant color morphs you can get. I've done it for years. Oh wait...if your talking about turning a fresh into salt not sure what would breed most success ive heard is with cardinal or clown fish but not sure in that small of tank.

BuDZnSuDS

sorry i didnt get back to the forum soon. I was saying that id like to learn about freshwater fish also so i got the other 10 gallon tank and what freshwater fish are easy to pair and breed.( just mentioning that I recently got into the saltwater tank hobby also.)

PEMfish

Thank you alot.

The planted tanks are alot more rewarding. Id recomend something bigger than a 10g. a 50g or a 75g standard tank are the best smaller tanks for planted as the dimensions are best for aquascaping. But If you want to startsmall that is fine, its what I did.

For breeding guppys are very easy, a 10g would be good for them. An air driven filter and plenty of dense plants along with the other essentials is all you need ( tank, stand, heater, light, substrate, siphon, etc...)