New tank, Suggestions Please!

Michael_Lambert

Alright guys!

I have decided to setup another tank.. Mainly because we have decided to tear down the 90 gallon at Liz’s house in preparation for our new life together when we get married next Sept :)

So I have moved 70% of her contents into my 135 gallon ( Fish, coral and some rock ) and i have moved rock into my 90 gallon pred tank as well..

Only issue is that she has a pair of very healthy clownfish that are VERY Friendly to one and other.. so we have decided that they should not go into either of my tank as the pred tank they could become lunch for the lion and in my 135 i already have a very aggressive pair of Percs.. So i have a old 29 gallon tank here i have decided to dedicate to her Clownfish, As she did not want to get rid of anything as our new house will have a nice big Reef in it :)

So this is what i would like to do..

29 Gallon tank ( 24 Long , 24 high , 12 wide ) Not Drilled.. Nor will I ..

Got about 50 pounds of live rock left, If i can fit it all i will :) Couple of maxi jets kicking with a 75 watt heater for it.. and a nice Big hang on filter to hold the heater and Carbon...

Where i come into needed some assistance.. is this..

Lighting...!!!!

I have kicking around in my basement 2 options.. 20k 175 watt Single ended on a Tar ballast or a 14k 250 watt single ended on a Tar ballast!

I was thinking considering there are only going to be two small fishes... and lots of rock.. NO SKIMMER, Then i might just think about keeping some acros and other SPS in there use it kind of as a Grow out tank as well as a holding tank for the clowns! .. Was thinking that this tank with a few nice Frags.. ANDY im coming to see you :) they should grow out nicely in the next 12-18 months until we get married and get our house.. Making for nice colonies when i setup the new tank..

So what do you all think? 175 or 250... I know we all want MORE POWER! .. But it is still a rather small tank.. don't want to cook the clowns or the mushrooms they have hosted too..

This tank will be setup in my Bedroom.. ( Nice 10,000 BTU AC unit ) in there keeping my room a nice Toasty 65 Degrees :) So keeping the tank under control Temp wise should be easy..

Well..

Any input would be nice.. Keep in mind i will only be running the Halide on the tank.. No supplements at all

Thanks
Michael..

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
If keeping the tank cool is not going to be an issue, then go with the 250 watter since the tank is 24" tall. The stronger wattage will allow you to go with a higher kelvin bulb and still have plenty of PAR... a 14 k will also have a nice blue color for a bed room :)

tx29fan

I agree with Doni. In a 24" deep tank the 250 would be my choice. The 14k would be my color choice as well. good luck !

Michael_Lambert said:
Yup thats what i was thinking too :)
Good luck with this Michael, and be sure to post some pics. Actually, I guess you can show me the real thing when I finally come by to pick up some more of that RODI water. I will be cleaning out a couple of new bins that I bought in a few days. Then I can transfer the water from the buckets into them.

Michael_Lambert said:
Yup..

I have madea couple of changes to my 135 as well.. added a Regal tang.. Different skimmer :) and alittle cleaner :)

Pics please. :bigbounce I'd like to see what the new addition looks like.