New Tank Questions

scubamattv

Hello,

I'm just starting a marine tank after only doing freshwater for a while. I have a 20 gallon tank with ~20 lbs of live rock and ~20 lbs of live sand. I have had the live rock in the tank for ~ 2 weeks and have been noticing creatures start to emerge. which brings me to my first question.

I've identified a couple of the creatures as brittle stars. They are currently hiding in holes in one of the pieces of live rock. Is there anything special I need to try to feed them so they won't die? Or will they be able to survive on algae growing on the live rock?

I was thinking of adding fish in a couple weeks. I haven't bought a protein skimmer yet (was trying to spread out the cost of starting a new tank). Should I run the protein skimmer for a week before adding fish? I don't know how much die off has / will occur while cycling the live rock (which was cured by the store).

thanks

acemow

This thread's been sitting for a day, so I'll give it a shot: I would wait two weeks at least after the cycle is complete to add a fish. I also wouldn't run the protein skimmer until the end of the cycle, then when the bioload increases with adding fish, you'll need to break in a skimmer and adjust it as the nasties in the tank are produced, I think you have time before you need the skimmer. The die off of each kind of bacteria, which then produces new bacteria is the cycling effect (in simple terms) there are very in depth explanations of the cycling process here if you want to read more. Just being patient and going slowly is the way to have a beautiful tank. With SW tanks, especially a smaller one, we don't want to add a bunch of livestock at once because that quick increase in bioload can trigger another mini cycle, it's best not to chance losing any of your new inhabitants. The starfish, I think they will eat the algae blooms that are coming with the cycle, although I'm not sure how they survive a cycling tank, I'm sure others will chime in for ya! Happy reefing!!!

DrHank

Absolutely correct. Many of us use the grocery store method of cycling in our tanks. As the shrimp decomposes it forces the tank to cycle. Once ammonia and nitrite hit zero we do our first (usually 50%) water change and add 1 small fish and/or our clean up crew.

Be aware that with a small tank like yours, you are only going to be able to support 4"-5" of adult fish. That isn't very many. Go very slow and be very selective. Good luck.

LPS_Blasto

I would recommend a hang on back (HOB) refugium.

Please refer to this thread for all the equipment you need. I just posted this last night for somebody else:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/47774-having-probs-my-tank.html#post676660

I don't know if you have a canister filter. If you DO, then get rid of it. If you DON'T, then keep it that way. They are WORTHLESS as a filter.

Follow the advice I gave in that thread and you will be a happy reefer in 2 or 3 months.

scubamattv

will the tank cycle without adding something to decompose? By the time I put fish (was thinking maybe a couple of clowns) into the tank it will have been set up for ~4-5 weeks

Reddog170

It all comes down to your test results and if your have had the spikes of a new cycle. One thing to remember is take it slow. When you rush a marine tank you crash a marine tank. I can speak from experience. I thought sure my tank was cycled so I added livestock. Then had to find it all new homes just to keep it all alive. You need to wait util you ammonia and nitrite are at 0 than do a water change to reduce nitrates. And test a LOT. Clowns are tough but not much can survive a full blow cycle. And I would also sugest getting some reading materials and really study what you want. Like the clowns can be agressive and very teritorial. Keep us posted and good luck. Also dont forget to ask BEFORE you buy. Shaun

scubamattv

I was changing the filter in my tank and found a bunch of creatures (mostly worms of some sort). I put most of them back in the tank for now. When I put them back in they coiled up - sunk to the sand and then dug themselves into the sand. Are these creatures I want to keep in the tank? or should I dispose of them if they work their way back into the filter the next time I change it?

thanks

Gyr

Scubamatt,
I'm no expert, but I'd suggest leaving the worms in the tank (identifying them/submitting a photo would help tailoring recommendations).
You don't mention if you are monitoring your water parameters, or not (nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, pH, etc.). When I first started my SW tank, I didn't (didn't know anything about it), and I paid dearly (losing livestock, ugly algae problems, etc).
I now keep a log of all these parameters, and I suggest new enthusiast do the same, at least until familiarity/comfort level increases.
Good luck, and spend some time digging through the archieves on this site, you'll find a ton of great info.
Kurt

Last edited:

CaRSMDuke

There has been lots of good advice here that I definately agree with.
Take your time and let the tank cycle, test the parameters, get at least one good water change in then add your cuc or fish ( I prefer cuc). Keeping a log of tests also additions of fish, coral, rock or anything that might change the balance in the tank is a great habit for everyone.
The advice on canisters is IMO also good I would add stay clear of Bio balls.
Read a lot and ask questions.
Only BAD things happen fast.

CaRSMDuke

Scubamattv,
You may want to start a new thread asking for an ID on the worms if you can get a picture or find an image on line. I'm sure someone on RS can give you an ID and sound advice of what to do.